POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Compiling 3.5 source for Solaris 5.8 / 8 Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:18:53 EDT (-0400)
  Compiling 3.5 source for Solaris 5.8 / 8 (Message 11 to 20 of 39)
From: Dawn McKnight
Subject: Re: Compiling 3.5 source for Solaris 5.8 / 8
Date: 1 Aug 2002 18:58:23
Message: <3D49BD75.80602@mac.com>
Mark Gordon wrote:

>Note that building from source is one aspect of 3.5 which hasn't goine
>through extensive beta testing so far, so it's probably going to see more
>changes.

I'm not complaining, Mark... much, anyway.

Hopefully, my posts here will help in the betatest process, as I'm a
generic semi-clued user.

I'm greatful that the source is there to build from, in the first place,
even if I'm having some difficulty with it at the moment.

Post a reply to this message

From: Micha Riser
Date: 1 Aug 2002 18:58:26
Message: <3d49bd11@news.povray.org>
Mark Gordon wrote:

> The "requires editing to build" part made it into the core code at the
> last minute.  I'm going to work on finding a friendlier way to do this.
> Note that building from source is one aspect of 3.5 which hasn't goine
> through extensive beta testing so far, so it's probably going to see more
> changes.

I see quite some work has been done with unix source, the configure and so.
It would be nice to pass optimization flags to configure. Any possibility
to build a version with x11 support only (which would be a bit smaller)?

Another question: How does this with the I/O restriction exactly work. I
look at the docs but it wasn't all clear to me. What povray.conf do I have
to create where to allow all io?

- Micha

--
http://objects.povworld.org - the POV-Ray Objects Collection

Post a reply to this message

From: Mark Gordon
Date: 1 Aug 2002 18:59:40
Message: <pan.2002.08.01.23.03.37.745511.1550@povray.org>
Looking at things I have that link against it that one might find on a
Solaris box...

libtiff, ImageMagick, ghostscript, libpng, cvs, tetex, lynx, openssh.

-Mark Gordon

On Thu, 01 Aug 2002 18:35:55 -0400, Dawn McKnight wrote:

> Mark Gordon wrote:
>
>>Are you able to build any programs that link against zlib?
>>
> Honestly, I'm not sure what zlib is, or what programs might link against
> it.

Post a reply to this message

From: Mark Gordon
Date: 1 Aug 2002 19:04:08
Message: <pan.2002.08.01.23.08.04.898030.1550@povray.org>
On Thu, 01 Aug 2002 18:58:13 -0400, Micha Riser wrote:

> I see quite some work has been done with unix source, the configure and
> so. It would be nice to pass optimization flags to configure. Any
> possibility to build a version with x11 support only (which would be a
> bit smaller)?

A binary? I can look into that.  I plan to add a bunch more options to
configure.

> Another question: How does this with the I/O restriction exactly work. I
> look at the docs but it wasn't all clear to me. What povray.conf do I
> have to create where to allow all io?

~/.povray.conf or /usr/local/etc/povray.conf (if built with --prefix=/usr,
then /etc/povray.conf).

-Mark Gordon

Post a reply to this message

From: Dawn McKnight
Date: 1 Aug 2002 19:15:58
Message: <3D49C194.30500@mac.com>
Okay, I'm getting a little closer...

I downloaded, configured, made zlib again (having made the leap of logic
that told me it was likely to be a GNU project, and thus, probably
available at <http://www.zlib.org>, which turned out to be the case) and
did make install.  Likewise with libpng, just to be on the safe side.
 Now I'm getting errors about undefined symbols:

socket                              /usr/openwin/lib/libX11.a(x11trans.o)
getpeername                         /usr/openwin/lib/libX11.a(x11trans.o)
xdrmem_create                       /usr/openwin/lib/libX11.a(ConnDis.o)
jpeg_set_quality                    jpeg_pov.o
dlclose                             /usr/openwin/lib/libX11.a(x11trans.o)
jpeg_write_scanlines                jpeg_pov.o
gethostbyname                       /usr/openwin/lib/libX11.a(x11trans.o)
jpeg_destroy_decompress             jpeg_pov.o
jpeg_start_compress                 jpeg_pov.o
setsockopt                          /usr/openwin/lib/libX11.a(x11trans.o)
getservbyname                       /usr/openwin/lib/libX11.a(x11trans.o)
jpeg_read_scanlines                 jpeg_pov.o
XSolarisIASetProcessInfo            /usr/openwin/lib/libX11.a(OpenDis.o)
jpeg_finish_decompress              jpeg_pov.o
jpeg_start_decompress               jpeg_pov.o
authdes_create                      /usr/openwin/lib/libX11.a(ConnDis.o)
inet_addr                           /usr/openwin/lib/libX11.a(x11trans.o)
jpeg_destroy_compress               jpeg_pov.o
jpeg_resync_to_restart              jpeg_pov.o
jpeg_std_error                      jpeg_pov.o
shutdown                            /usr/openwin/lib/libX11.a(x11trans.o)
jpeg_CreateDecompress               jpeg_pov.o
getsockname                         /usr/openwin/lib/libX11.a(x11trans.o)
jpeg_set_defaults                   jpeg_pov.o
dlsym                               /usr/openwin/lib/libX11.a(x11trans.o)
dlopen                              /usr/openwin/lib/libX11.a(x11trans.o)
jpeg_CreateCompress                 jpeg_pov.o
jpeg_read_header                    jpeg_pov.o
jpeg_finish_compress                jpeg_pov.o
connect                             /usr/openwin/lib/libX11.a(x11trans.o)
ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to povray

As some of these have to do with jpeg creation, I'm guessing maybe I
need to reinstall my jpeg libraries?  There doesn't seem to be a
jpeglib.org....

I hope I don't have to reinstall my X11 / OpenWin system.  That might be
a Bridge Too Far.

Post a reply to this message

From: Micha Riser
Date: 1 Aug 2002 19:26:20
Message: <3d49c39b@news.povray.org>
Dawn McKnight wrote:

>>Probably there is also a way to tell it configure. But you can edit
>>src/Makefile and add '-L/usr/lib/' to 'LDFLAGS'. Might work. No guarantee
>>:)
>>
> Didn't.

It should be appended with 'LDADD' but I don't think it will make a
difference. You can get zlib from http://sourceforge.net/projects/libpng/.
Unpack and compile it into a directory. Then to link it statically into pov
you remove '-lz' from LIBS and put the location of the freshly compiled
'libz.a' as first of the 'LDADD'. So something like 'LDADD =
../zlib-1.1.4/libz.a -L ...'.

In the meanwhile I have managed to compile it on a solaris machine. I had
to build libpng and zlib myself though and disable X11 :( If it really runs
I can make it available to you.. but now I need some sleep.

> This is kind of why *nix isn't going to be replacing Winders as a
> populist OS anytime soon.  Argh.

Have you ever tried to compile something like pov on windows?

From: Micha Riser
Date: 1 Aug 2002 19:27:15
Message: <3d49c3d1@news.povray.org>
Mark Gordon wrote:

> ~/.povray.conf or /usr/local/etc/povray.conf (if built with --prefix=/usr,
> then /etc/povray.conf).

And what in it to allow everything?

From: Dawn McKnight
Date: 1 Aug 2002 19:28:51
Message: <3D49C499.6010009@mac.com>
Proving that I'm not completely helpless, I tracked down the jpeg and
tiff libraries through the gimp site, and am remaking and installing
them now... I tried it after remaking the jpeg library, but so far,
there's still no joy in mudville....

Post a reply to this message

From: Micha Riser
Date: 1 Aug 2002 19:30:05
Message: <3d49c47d@news.povray.org>
Dawn McKnight wrote:

> As some of these have to do with jpeg creation, I'm guessing maybe I
> need to reinstall my jpeg libraries?  There doesn't seem to be a
> jpeglib.org....

Try to add '-ljpeg -ltiff' to the LIBS in Makefile. For X11 I do not know
what there is missing. But you can add '#define X_DISPLAY_MISSING' to
conf.h which will give you a build without X11.

From: Dawn McKnight
Date: 1 Aug 2002 19:35:10
Message: <3D49C613.2090901@mac.com>
>In the meanwhile I have managed to compile it on a solaris machine. I had
>to build libpng and zlib myself though and disable X11

Okay; I built libpng and zlib again, along with the jpeg and tiff
libraries, and it's still complaining about X11.  So I guess I need to
either replace my openwindows system (not feasable), or disable X11.
 I'll look at the makefile to see if I can figure out how to do that,
but if someone can just tell me, that'll be great.

>Have you ever tried to compile something like pov on windows?

No; fortunately, binaries compiled for one Windows machine will work on
another. 8)  Which means that smart people can do the compiling, while
dummies like me can just use it. 8)