POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Compiling 3.5 source for Solaris 5.8 / 8 : Re: Compiling 3.5 source for Solaris 5.8 / 8 Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:22:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Compiling 3.5 source for Solaris 5.8 / 8
From: Micha Riser
Date: 1 Aug 2002 19:26:20
Message: <3d49c39b@news.povray.org>
Dawn McKnight wrote:

>>Probably there is also a way to tell it configure. But you can edit
>>src/Makefile and add '-L/usr/lib/' to 'LDFLAGS'. Might work. No guarantee
>>:)
>>
> Didn't.

It should be appended with 'LDADD' but I don't think it will make a
difference. You can get zlib from http://sourceforge.net/projects/libpng/.
Unpack and compile it into a directory. Then to link it statically into pov
you remove '-lz' from LIBS and put the location of the freshly compiled
'libz.a' as first of the 'LDADD'. So something like 'LDADD =
../zlib-1.1.4/libz.a -L ...'.

In the meanwhile I have managed to compile it on a solaris machine. I had
to build libpng and zlib myself though and disable X11 :( If it really runs
I can make it available to you.. but now I need some sleep.

> This is kind of why *nix isn't going to be replacing Winders as a
> populist OS anytime soon.  Argh.

Have you ever tried to compile something like pov on windows?

--
http://objects.povworld.org - the POV-Ray Objects Collection