POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Soliciting feedback Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:17:50 EDT (-0400)
  Soliciting feedback (Message 1 to 10 of 11)
From: Mark Gordon
Subject: Soliciting feedback
Date: 22 Nov 1999 02:22:52
Message: <3838EF1E.660A2883@mailbag.com>
Greetings Unix users!

I'm soliciting input on what Unix users think are the most important
platform-specific changes that could be made to POV-Ray.  This is mostly
to help me figure out what my priorities should be.  Current possible
projects include:

- improved installation script for binary packages (minor adjustment
planned for 3.1 yet)
- binaries for a broader range of platforms (possible for 3.1 yet)
- http://unix.povray.org (possible for 3.1 yet)
- ./configure; make; make install (possible for 3.5)
- documentation in info format (possible for 3.5)
- GUI frontend (possible for 4.0)
- built-in editor for a GUI interface (possible for 4.0)
- better support for POV-Ray through existing widely-used editors
(possible for 4.0)
- framebuffer output (possible for 4.0)
- anything else you come up with

Some of these (GUI frontends, povmode for Emacs) are already provided by
third parties.  Is the status quo satisfactory, or should POV-Ray on
Unix have an official GUI frontend, an official emacs mode, etc. that is
packaged with everything else?

Also, while you're at it, feel free to comment on things that aren't
platform-specific (scene description language, scripting language,
rendering, file formats, choice of programming languages, license, etc.)
and potentially platform-specific (threading, network rendering, etc.).
Here I'm looking mostly for the general opinion of the Unix user base,
which I can then relay to the rest of the team.

Discuss.  Comment.  Vent.  I'll be reading and commenting from time to
time.

-Mark Gordon

Post a reply to this message

> I'm soliciting input on what Unix users think are the most important
> platform-specific changes that could be made to POV-Ray.  This is mostly
> to help me figure out what my priorities should be.  Current possible
> projects include:
>
> - improved installation script for binary packages (minor adjustment
> planned for 3.1 yet)
> - binaries for a broader range of platforms (possible for 3.1 yet)
> - http://unix.povray.org (possible for 3.1 yet)
> - ./configure; make; make install (possible for 3.5)
> - documentation in info format (possible for 3.5)
> - GUI frontend (possible for 4.0)
> - built-in editor for a GUI interface (possible for 4.0)
> - better support for POV-Ray through existing widely-used editors
> (possible for 4.0)
> - framebuffer output (possible for 4.0)
> - anything else you come up with

**** ./configure; make; make install (possible for 3.5)

*** - better support for POV-Ray through existing widely-used editors
(possible for 4.0)

* - improved installation script for binary packages (minor adjustment
planned for 3.1 yet)

No - - built-in editor for a GUI interface (possible for 4.0)

--
"My new computer's got the clocks, it rocks
But it was obsolete before I opened the box" - W.A.Y.

Post a reply to this message