POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : cheaper, faster computing Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:25:45 EDT (-0400)
  cheaper, faster computing (Message 1 to 10 of 18)
From: David R  Stone
Subject: cheaper, faster computing
Date: 14 Sep 1999 05:06:47
Message: <37DE0F78.63A43948@powernethk.com>
hello all,

a group of 23 members (a subset of the beowulf list at NASA) have joined
in an effort to build the first plug n' play[tm] beowulf class
supercomputer. we are going to use the next generation playstation 2 due
out in spring 2000 as our base platform. most of us will be working on
the kernel hacks, ethernet over ieee1394, app porting etc.

so. would you be interested in soon being able to build a scaleable
parallel
cluster that can render povray faster than an sgi origin2000 for about
US$299 per node ? i thought you might :-)

we need help and have recruited some of the best in their field. we
would be so grateful if someone could work on a sophisticated image for
us. this is a non-profit (i.e. no cash) project but the intellectual
property will remain the artists.

please let me know via email if anyone is interested. we envisage
something like tux penguins weilding playstations chasing wolves in an
antarctic type scene.

btw. it MUST be done under linux/unix

--
regards