POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : kpovmodeler + povray 3.7 Server Time
29 Mar 2024 01:36:14 EDT (-0400)
  kpovmodeler + povray 3.7 (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: John Coppens
Subject: kpovmodeler + povray 3.7
Date: 6 Apr 2011 10:08:51
Message: <20110406110850.28a92506.john@johncoppens.com>
Hello people...

The SVN version of kpovmodeler compiles well, but isn't really
compatible anymore with 3.7 (only recognizes 3.1 and 3.5). In
particular, the +QR option is not recognized by the newer povray.
I'm no great C++ programmer, and even less knowledgeable about Qt,
so I solved the options issue by gluing bothe KPM and povray together
with a small Tcl script which removes unwanted options (see below).

That works fine, but the TGA image generated by povray, and sent to
stdout, is not recognized by KPM. I tried to write it to disk, and
only Gimp actually reads it (GQview, Geeqie, and other don't).

Is the TGA generated by povray some special variant?

John

#!/usr/bin/tclsh

set cmd "exec -ignorestderr -- povray"

foreach arg $argv {
  if {$arg == "-QR"} continue
  if {$arg == "+QR"} continue

  append cmd " " $arg
}

append cmd " > /tmp/test.tga"

exec echo $cmd >> /tmp/povlog
eval $cmd

exit 0

Post a reply to this message

Le 06/04/2011 16:08, John Coppens a écrit :
> Hello people...
>
> The SVN version of kpovmodeler compiles well, but isn't really
> compatible anymore with 3.7 (only recognizes 3.1 and 3.5). In
> particular, the +QR option is not recognized by the newer povray.
> I'm no great C++ programmer, and even less knowledgeable about Qt,
> so I solved the options issue by gluing bothe KPM and povray together
> with a small Tcl script which removes unwanted options (see below).
>
> That works fine, but the TGA image generated by povray, and sent to
> stdout, is not recognized by KPM. I tried to write it to disk, and
> only Gimp actually reads it (GQview, Geeqie, and other don't).
>
> Is the TGA generated by povray some special variant?

I think, and I might be wrong, that the default file format for 3.7 on
unix is PNG, not TGA anymore.

(and to have edited the TGA file format lately (was before RC1, IIRC, to
add comments),... well it's Truevision Targa, and the version of format
evolved from very old 1 to 2.0 specification of 1991.

http://www.dca.fee.unicamp.br/~martino/disciplinas/ea978/tgaffs.pdf

And there is 2 TGA formats output for povray (the uncompressed one, and
the compressed one. (+FC vs +FT)

If you have imagemagick installed, ask "identify output.file" what it
think about the rendered image.

--
Software is like dirt - it costs time and money to change it and move it
around.

Just because you can't see it, it doesn't weigh anything,
and you can't drill a hole in it and stick a rivet into it doesn't mean
it's free.

Post a reply to this message

> I think, and I might be wrong, that the default file format for 3.7 on
> unix is PNG, not TGA anymore.
>
> (and to have edited the TGA file format lately (was before RC1, IIRC, to
> add comments),... well it's Truevision Targa, and the version of format
> evolved from very old 1 to 2.0 specification of 1991.
>
> http://www.dca.fee.unicamp.br/~martino/disciplinas/ea978/tgaffs.pdf
>
> And there is 2 TGA formats output for povray (the uncompressed one, and
> the compressed one. (+FC vs +FT)

Thanks... But I forgot to mention that indeed, the command line
contains +FT, so the format imposed on povray _is_ actually TGA.

> If you have imagemagick installed, ask "identify output.file" what it
> think about the rendered image.

Didn't know that trick! Identify gives:

test.tga TGA 640x480 640x480+0+0 8-bit DirectClass 922KB 0.060u 0:00.070

Maybe some spurious character gets inserted somewhere in the stdin
path. I'll have to investigate a bit more, it seems.

Thanks,
John

Post a reply to this message

John Coppens <joh### [at] johncoppenscom> wrote:
> Hello people...
>
> The SVN version of kpovmodeler compiles well, but isn't really
> compatible anymore with 3.7 (only recognizes 3.1 and 3.5). In
> particular, the +QR option is not recognized by the newer povray.
> I'm no great C++ programmer, and even less knowledgeable about Qt,
> so I solved the options issue by gluing bothe KPM and povray together
> with a small Tcl script which removes unwanted options (see below).
>
> That works fine, but the TGA image generated by povray, and sent to
> stdout, is not recognized by KPM. I tried to write it to disk, and
> only Gimp actually reads it (GQview, Geeqie, and other don't).
>
> Is the TGA generated by povray some special variant?
>
> John
>
> #!/usr/bin/tclsh
>
> set cmd "exec -ignorestderr -- povray"
>
> foreach arg $argv {
>   if {$arg == "-QR"} continue
>   if {$arg == "+QR"} continue
>
>   append cmd " " $arg
> }
>
> append cmd " > /tmp/test.tga"
>
> exec echo $cmd >> /tmp/povlog
> eval $cmd
>
> exit 0

hallo

in kpovmodeler source find file "pmrendermode.cpp", at line 190
change
   if( m_radiosity )
      cl.append( QString( "+QR" ) );
   else
      cl.append( QString( "-QR" ) );

/* mod for povray 3.7
   if( m_radiosity )
      cl.append( QString( "+QR" ) );
   else
      cl.append( QString( "-QR" ) );
*/

and recompile

all work except render preview, i'v black image during rendering but think that
this is another problem infact preview not appear using povray command from
konsole.

installed kpm_patch.txt ?