POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.tools.general : Adding POV-Ray to http://www.blender.org/download/external-renderers/ Server Time
19 Mar 2024 07:45:07 EDT (-0400)
  Adding POV-Ray to http://www.blender.org/download/external-renderers/ (Message 1 to 10 of 12)
From: Mr
Subject: Adding POV-Ray to http://www.blender.org/download/external-renderers/
Date: 20 Mar 2014 05:20:00
Message: <web.532ab20cfce35bf016086ed00@news.povray.org>
hello, I want to ask Blender.org website to add a link to POV on the external
renderer's page : http://www.blender.org/download/external-renderers/

First, about the logo, do you guys think this
http://wiki.povray.org/uploaded/3/34/DocImgPovlogotext.jpg is the proper one
that would look good on the page?
or is there one that is just as accepted by the pov community with more modern
fonts ?

About the text, I gathered from official sources the following compact and
feature rich description of the software:

The Persistence of Vision Raytracer, or POV-Ray, is the oldest free and
open-source 3D renderer. It generates images from a text-based scene description
language. In addition to standard triangle meshes and geometric primitives, it
supports mathematically defined ones. These are more accurate than their
polygonal counterparts. Objects that can be described in terms of spheres,
planar surfaces, cylinders, tori and the like are perfectly smooth and accurate
in POV-Ray renderings.

POV-Ray has matured substantially since it was created. Recent versions of the
software include the following features:

    *A Turing-complete scene description language (SDL) that supports macros and
loops.
    *Extensive user documentation
    *Library of ready-made scenes, textures, and objects
    *Support for a number of geometric primitives and constructive solid
geometry
    *Subsurface Scattering (sss) and translucency
    *Atmospheric effects such as fog and media (smoke, clouds)
    *Reflections, refractions, and light caustics using photon mapping
    *Lots of procedural patterns, for use in textures, or volumetrics
    *Global Illumination Radiosity: interdiffuse reflections with "color
bleeding"
    *Symmetric multiprocessing (SMP), use multiple processors. (benchmark for
some Intel Corp. processor)
    *Support for High dynamic range imaging (HDRI), including the OpenEXR and
Radiance file formats.
    *Bounding using BSP trees and other methods.
    *64-bit compatibility.
    *Pause and restart a render after shutdown.
    *Real Time Rendering mode
    *A development version with blurry reflections and full motion blur

POV-Ray was the first ray tracer to render an image in orbit, rendered by Mark
Shuttleworth inside the International Space Station.

Post a reply to this message

> POV-Ray was the first ray tracer to render an image in orbit, rendered by Mark
> Shuttleworth inside the International Space Station.

I think you need to add the names of the artists, and a link to the image.

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

> > POV-Ray was the first ray tracer to render an image in orbit, rendered by Mark
> > Shuttleworth inside the International Space Station.
> >

> I think you need to add the names of the artists, and a link to the image.
>
> Thomas

It might read like an Oscar acceptance speech. :-)

Maybe a link to the HOF would be better?

Post a reply to this message

>>> POV-Ray was the first ray tracer to render an image in orbit, rendered by Mark
>>> Shuttleworth inside the International Space Station.
>>>

>> I think you need to add the names of the artists, and a link to the image.
>>
>> Thomas
>

> It might read like an Oscar acceptance speech. :-)
>
> Maybe a link to the HOF would be better?

My statement was muddy. The HOF was in fact the place I had in my mind.

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

"Stephen" <mcavoys_AT_aolDOT.com> wrote:
> > On 20-3-2014 10:17, Mr wrote:
> >
> > > POV-Ray was the first ray tracer to render an image in orbit, rendered by Mark
> > > Shuttleworth inside the International Space Station.
> > >

> > I think you need to add the names of the artists, and a link to the image.
> >
> > Thomas
>

> It might read like an Oscar acceptance speech. :-)
>
> Maybe a link to the HOF would be better?

I am sorry, I had to cut down a lot of the description for it to be suitable to
that webpage's format, besides it had to be done quickly as  it was done by Ton
Roosendaal himself. It's very kind of his as his time is so valuable and he has
much more important tasks than webmastering, but nobody else was available to do
it for several weeks.

Here is the updated page: http://www.blender.org/download/external-renderers/

Povers, be prepared to welcome a few more Blenderheads in the future :)
And thanks again for your guidance so far.

Post a reply to this message

> I am sorry, I had to cut down a lot of the description for it to be suitable to
> that webpage's format, besides it had to be done quickly

You did a good job.

> as  it was done by Ton
> Roosendaal himself. It's very kind of his as his time is so valuable and he has
> much more important tasks than webmastering, but nobody else was available to do
> it for several weeks.

That deserves an "Oo! and an Ah!" ;-)

> Here is the updated page:http://www.blender.org/download/external-renderers/
>
> Povers, be prepared to welcome a few more

> Blenderheads

Not a nice image, BTW. ;-)

> in the future:)

And very welcome, they will be. :-D

We have had a few new people recently (and a few old ones, too). It
would be good to have a more active forum, as a side effect.

> And thanks again for your guidance so far.

And thanks for your enthusiasm.

--
Regards
     Stephen

I solemnly promise to kick the next angle, I see.

Post a reply to this message