POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.tools.general : DAZ Questions Server Time
2 May 2024 10:13:33 EDT (-0400)
  DAZ Questions (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Dave Matthews
Subject: DAZ Questions
Date: 16 Apr 2005 20:35:25
Message: <4261af4d@news.povray.org>
I'd like to add some humans to some of my scenes, and I was wondering if
anyone had tried out DAZ enough to form opinions on a couple of
questions, before I spend $100 or more on e-dollies:

1.  I'm not looking to do anything fancy, just stick some stock
(demurely proportioned and clothed) male and female characters into some
of my POVRay scenes.  Does DAZ studio + Poseray (or some other free or
at least substantially cheaper than Poser combination of utilities) work
well enough for general purposes?  I don't think I'd get enough use out
of it to justify a purchase of Poser.

2.  If I purchase 1 male + 1 female DAZ figure, what would be the most
versatile route to go, in terms of models and accessory packages, again,
not making bikini-clad (or less) teen-geek-fantasy manequins, but just
some generic humans in normal clothing?  Are there any morph packages
you'd recommend to create normal-looking adults and children of a
variety of ethnicities?

Thanks for any advice!

Dave Matthews

Post a reply to this message

> I'd like to add some humans to some of my scenes, and I was wondering if
> anyone had tried out DAZ enough to form opinions on a couple of
> questions, before I spend $100 or more on e-dollies:
>
> 1.  I'm not looking to do anything fancy, just stick some stock
> (demurely proportioned and clothed) male and female characters into some
> of my POVRay scenes.  Does DAZ studio + Poseray (or some other free or
> at least substantially cheaper than Poser combination of utilities) work
> well enough for general purposes?  I don't think I'd get enough use out
> of it to justify a purchase of Poser.
>
> 2.  If I purchase 1 male + 1 female DAZ figure, what would be the most
> versatile route to go, in terms of models and accessory packages, again,
> not making bikini-clad (or less) teen-geek-fantasy manequins, but just
> some generic humans in normal clothing?  Are there any morph packages
> you'd recommend to create normal-looking adults and children of a
> variety of ethnicities?
>
> Thanks for any advice!
>
> Dave Matthews

Dave,

The base high resolution models are free at DAZ (Victoria 3 and Michael
3). You can get them in the store using paypal. You will not be charged
and you do not need a paypal account. Also DAZ Studio comes with a low
resolution version of Victoria 3.

You can go to my site http://user.txcyber.com/~sgalls/ in the links
section there is a list of freely available (and stand-alone) Poser
models. Most Poser models work in DAZ Studio.

Right now PoseRay can be used with DAZ Studio to import the geometry and
materials of a scene into POV-Ray. Make sure you are using the latest
version of PoseRay and DAZ Studio. Also make sure you read the short
tutorial in PoseRay's manual.

For free accessories you can go to Renderosity.com and the free section
at DAZ.

good luck,

FlyerX

Post a reply to this message

> The base high resolution models are free at DAZ (Victoria 3 and Michael
> 3). You can get them in the store using paypal. You will not be charged
> and you do not need a paypal account. Also DAZ Studio comes with a low
> resolution version of Victoria 3.
>
> You can go to my site http://user.txcyber.com/~sgalls/ in the links
> section there is a list of freely available (and stand-alone) Poser
> models. Most Poser models work in DAZ Studio.
>
> Right now PoseRay can be used with DAZ Studio to import the geometry and
> materials of a scene into POV-Ray. Make sure you are using the latest
> version of PoseRay and DAZ Studio. Also make sure you read the short
> tutorial in PoseRay's manual.
>
> For free accessories you can go to Renderosity.com and the free section
> at DAZ.
>
> good luck,
>
> FlyerX

Thanks!  I didn't know there were some free test models available (I
would have if I had looked in p.t.poser, I now notice.)

I think that's the best idea -- try some of the free models first, and
see what DAZ Studio can do.  I've already read from many others at these
newsgroups about how great PoseRay is, so I don't think I should have
much trouble between your tutorial and the previously posted tips from
other POVRay users.

Thanks again for the links.

Dave Matthews

Post a reply to this message

"If I purchase 1 male + 1 female DAZ figure, what would be the most
> versatile route to go, in terms of models and accessory packages, again,
> not making bikini-clad (or less) teen-geek-fantasy manequins, but just
> some generic humans in normal clothing?  Are there any morph packages
> you'd recommend to create normal-looking adults and children of a
> variety of ethnicities?"

I think your money would be best spent on buying the cheapest version of
Poser 5 you can find. That, to me, is the best version out there. Plenty of
included clothing, and the setup and face rooms for figure creations and
facial morphs.