POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Noise generators Server Time
8 Jul 2024 19:01:35 EDT (-0400)
  Noise generators (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Alex
Subject: Noise generators
Date: 1 Dec 2002 09:20:06
Message: <web.3dea1a294f6241ac15e7f0160@news.povray.org>
What implementation of Perlin noise does Povray use?
Docs say noise_generator type 3 is Perlin noise...
I'm asking because I stumbled on paper by Perlin (SIGGRAPH 2002 p.681),
describing some ameliorations to the noise algorithm and I was wondering if
these has found their way in Pov code.

Anyone interested, mail me to get a pdf of the paper.

-- Alex

Post a reply to this message

> What implementation of Perlin noise does Povray use?
> Docs say noise_generator type 3 is Perlin noise...
> I'm asking because I stumbled on paper by Perlin (SIGGRAPH 2002 p.681),
> describing some ameliorations to the noise algorithm and I was wondering if
> these has found their way in Pov code.

The POV feature was implemented before that paper and uses the old
algorithm, but the POV Team is aware of the improved version.

Post a reply to this message

> What implementation of Perlin noise does Povray use?

Check the source code for details.  there have also been discussions about
the noise functions, iirc in the povray.beta-test group.

> Docs say noise_generator type 3 is Perlin noise...
> I'm asking because I stumbled on paper by Perlin (SIGGRAPH 2002 p.681),

We know about the paper and have it, yes.

> describing some ameliorations to the noise algorithm and I was wondering if
> these has found their way in Pov code.

Well, the release date of POV-Ray 3.5 should give you a very clear
indication about this...

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich
e-mail: mac### [at] povrayorg