POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Noise generators : Re: Noise generators Server Time
6 Oct 2024 13:51:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Noise generators
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 1 Dec 2002 11:07:20
Message: <3dea33b8@news.povray.org>
In article <web.3dea1a294f6241ac15e7f0160@news.povray.org> , "Alex"
<ale### [at] alphacit> wrote:

> What implementation of Perlin noise does Povray use?

Check the source code for details.  there have also been discussions about
the noise functions, iirc in the povray.beta-test group.

> Docs say noise_generator type 3 is Perlin noise...
> I'm asking because I stumbled on paper by Perlin (SIGGRAPH 2002 p.681),

We know about the paper and have it, yes.

> describing some ameliorations to the noise algorithm and I was wondering if
> these has found their way in Pov code.

Well, the release date of POV-Ray 3.5 should give you a very clear
indication about this...

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich
e-mail: mac### [at] povrayorg