POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Re: Mesh CSG Operation Bug Server Time
8 Jul 2024 18:53:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mesh CSG Operation Bug (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: normdoering
Subject: Re: Mesh CSG Operation Bug
Date: 11 Nov 2002 17:10:06
Message: <web.3dd02a8c6e9e93e4cbb77c320@news.povray.org>
Massimo Valentini wrote:
>"Ken" ha scritto
>:
>: Mesh bug report -
>:
>:   A mesh object (w/inside_vector used) evaluates properly only when it is a
>: top level object in a CSG operation. The behavior is incorrect when it is a
>: second level object. This bug has been confirmed.
>:
>: POV-Ray for Windows version 3.5.icl.win32, Win 98, Athlon 950, 256meg sdram.
>:
>: Ken Tyler
>:
>
>I Xposted this reply to both p.bugreports and p.programming
>and set the follow-up to p.programming.
>

>I would say this is NOT a bug. Well, I'm not entitled to say what's
>a bug and what's not, but I think the behaviour is easily explained.
>
>When you render this scene, a warning is issued saying:
>
>"Patch objects not allowed in intersection"
>
>and given the fact that mesh objects have no inside, what you obtain
>is a difference when the second object is a box, and an intersection
>when it is a mesh. In other words you obtain the same image as with:
>
>//////////////////
>camera { location<-2,3,-5> look_at y*.5 }
>
>light_source { <-5,5,-5> 1 }
>
>default { pigment {red 1} finish { ambient .4 diffuse .6 }}
>
>difference
>{
>   box{<-1,-1,-1>,<1,1,1>}
>   box{<-.75,-.75,-1.1>,<.75,.75,1.1> pigment{rgb 1}}
>  translate x*-1.2
>}
>
>intersection
>{
>   box{<-1,-1,-1>,<1,1,1> pigment{rgb 1}}
>   box {<-.75,-.75,-1.1>,<.75,.75,1.1>}
>  translate x*1.2
>}
>
>intersection
>{
>   box { <-1,-1,-1>,<1,1,1> }
>   box {<-.75,-.75,-1.1>,<.75,.75,1.1>}
>  translate y*2
>}
>//////////////////////

If you could confirm that a mesh completely encloses an inner area could you
then find a way to declare it as a solid object? Perhaps use a mesh to
shape an isosurface?

--normdoering

Post a reply to this message

From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 11 Nov 2002 18:28:03
Message: <chrishuff-CA4215.18272711112002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <web.3dd02a8c6e9e93e4cbb77c320@news.povray.org>,
 "normdoering" <nor### [at] yahoocom> wrote:

> If you could confirm that a mesh completely encloses an inner area could you
> then find a way to declare it as a solid object? Perhaps use a mesh to
> shape an isosurface?

Do you bother to read the material you quote? That thread is about the
inside_vector feature, which lets a closed mesh be used as a solid
object. It has nothing to do with isosurfaces, they wouldn't be of any
use for this. The poster you replied to seems to have been confused, and
apparently didn't know about that addition. I can't even find the post
you replied to, though...it doesn't seem to exist except for on the web
interface.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/