POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Re: Blurred transparency demo - blurTransTest.jpg (1/1) Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:18:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Blurred transparency demo - blurTransTest.jpg (1/1) (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Ron Parker
Subject: Re: Blurred transparency demo - blurTransTest.jpg (1/1)
Date: 27 Jan 2000 10:45:15
Message: <slrn890pvm.v8.ron.parker@ron.gwmicro.com>
On Thu, 27 Jan 2000 07:34:49 -0500, Chris Huff wrote:
>In article <388fdfd1@news.povray.org>, "Bob Hughes"
><per### [at] aolcom?subject=PoV-News:> wrote:
>
>> Another triumph.  This particular render could presumably be approximated
>> with
>> normals and a gradient y texture map, but this seems to be the answer for
>> doing anything with translucence hopefully.
>
>No texture map would be needed, but heavy anti-aliasing would probably
>have to be used. Normals are still more versatile, I have been trying to
>think of ways to use patterns to make directional blurring.

Okay, this is going to go into serious theoretical-land, so I've xposted
and set followups to .programming.

Ideally, we wouldn't need special code for blurred reflections or for
blurred transmission.  What I'd like to do is implement ray differential
tracing (http://www-graphics.stanford.edu/papers/trd/) and make it possible
to set a flag on _any_ texture that causes it to automatically average
a specified number of samples for ray footprints over a specified size.

Such a flag would allow you to do blurred reflection or transmission
by way of setting a microfacet normal and doing averaged samples for
even very small footprints.  One advantage would be that you could
use normal maps or other existing features to impart a pattern to the
frosted texture, or manipulate the microfacets to bias the frosted
effect to a particular direction.  It'd also make checkered floors do
their own AA in the distance without having to do AA on the scene in
general.

Another nice feature would be a "footprint-size-map" that selects a
simpler version of the texture for different footprint sizes, so a
checkered plane in the far distance could just blend to medium gray
which could be sampled faster (but would still look right through
a telescope.)

> Okay, this is going to go into serious theoretical-land, so I've xposted
> and set followups to .programming.
>
> Ideally, we wouldn't need special code for blurred reflections or for
> blurred transmission.  What I'd like to do is implement ray differential
> tracing (http://www-graphics.stanford.edu/papers/trd/) and make it
> possible
> to set a flag on _any_ texture that causes it to automatically average
> a specified number of samples for ray footprints over a specified size.
>
> Such a flag would allow you to do blurred reflection or transmission
> by way of setting a microfacet normal and doing averaged samples for
> even very small footprints.  One advantage would be that you could
> use normal maps or other existing features to impart a pattern to the
> frosted texture, or manipulate the microfacets to bias the frosted
> effect to a particular direction.  It'd also make checkered floors do
> their own AA in the distance without having to do AA on the scene in
> general.

I have been wondering about how this could be done...unfortunately, my
math isn't as good as it could be, and is far from sufficient for
this.(I am still in Algebra II in school, and won't get to Trig or
Analytic Geometry until next year. And forget about taking Calculus in
school. Of course, I plan to buy some books before then...)

One thing I have thought of: Modify Trace() (or make a separate
function) to take one sample, and from the distance of the intersection
point to the ray start figure out a jitter amount to jitter additional
samples. Also take into account the distance traveled already. This is
simple enough even I could do it(or a simple version of it), but I don't
know how well it would work. Basically a controlled blur that is
dependant on the distance a ray has travelled.(except the rays are
jittered on the level before they hit a surface, so things like
refraction or reflection with normals will be smoothed instead of
blurred)

> Another nice feature would be a "footprint-size-map" that selects a
> simpler version of the texture for different footprint sizes, so a
> checkered plane in the far distance could just blend to medium gray
> which could be sampled faster (but would still look right through
> a telescope.)

Not sure how this would be done, you would have to figure out how to
make it depend on the pixels per "feature" of the texture. Maybe by
checking to see if the intersection points of adjacent samples are below
a specified distance...

--
Chris Huff
e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom