POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Re: Blurred transparency demo - blurTransTest.jpg (1/1) : Re: Blurred transparency demo - blurTransTest.jpg (1/1) Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:32:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Blurred transparency demo - blurTransTest.jpg (1/1)
From: Ron Parker
Date: 28 Jan 2000 07:46:07
Message: <slrn8933m6.v8.ron.parker@parkerr.fwi.com>
On Thu, 27 Jan 2000 20:30:04 -0500, Chris Huff wrote:
>One thing I have thought of: Modify Trace() (or make a separate
>function) to take one sample, and from the distance of the intersection
>point to the ray start figure out a jitter amount to jitter additional
>samples.

Two of the sample images on the site I referred to use distance-based
antialiasing.  The problem is that the image in the magnifying glass
gets more blurred than it should because of the length of the rays.
Differential tracing would fix that.

>> Another nice feature would be a "footprint-size-map" that selects a
>> simpler version of the texture for different footprint sizes, so a
>> checkered plane in the far distance could just blend to medium gray
>> which could be sampled faster (but would still look right through
>> a telescope.)
>
>Not sure how this would be done, you would have to figure out how to
>make it depend on the pixels per "feature" of the texture.

The differential tracing scheme automatically provides an estimate of
the footprint of the ray, so it wouldn't be much extra work.