POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Re: Blurred transparency demo - blurTransTest.jpg (1/1) : Re: Blurred transparency demo - blurTransTest.jpg (1/1) Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:20:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Blurred transparency demo - blurTransTest.jpg (1/1)
From: Ron Parker
Date: 27 Jan 2000 10:45:15
Message: <slrn890pvm.v8.ron.parker@ron.gwmicro.com>
On Thu, 27 Jan 2000 07:34:49 -0500, Chris Huff wrote:
>In article <388fdfd1@news.povray.org>, "Bob Hughes"
><per### [at] aolcom?subject=PoV-News:> wrote:
>
>> Another triumph.  This particular render could presumably be approximated
>> with
>> normals and a gradient y texture map, but this seems to be the answer for
>> doing anything with translucence hopefully.
>
>No texture map would be needed, but heavy anti-aliasing would probably
>have to be used. Normals are still more versatile, I have been trying to
>think of ways to use patterns to make directional blurring.

Okay, this is going to go into serious theoretical-land, so I've xposted
and set followups to .programming.

Ideally, we wouldn't need special code for blurred reflections or for
blurred transmission.  What I'd like to do is implement ray differential
tracing (http://www-graphics.stanford.edu/papers/trd/) and make it possible
to set a flag on _any_ texture that causes it to automatically average
a specified number of samples for ray footprints over a specified size.

Such a flag would allow you to do blurred reflection or transmission
by way of setting a microfacet normal and doing averaged samples for
even very small footprints.  One advantage would be that you could
use normal maps or other existing features to impart a pattern to the
frosted texture, or manipulate the microfacets to bias the frosted
effect to a particular direction.  It'd also make checkered floors do
their own AA in the distance without having to do AA on the scene in
general.

Another nice feature would be a "footprint-size-map" that selects a
simpler version of the texture for different footprint sizes, so a
checkered plane in the far distance could just blend to medium gray
which could be sampled faster (but would still look right through
a telescope.)