POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Povray 4? wish list Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:13:23 EDT (-0400)
  Povray 4? wish list (Message 101 to 110 of 250)
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Subject: Re: Povray 4? wish list
Date: 5 Dec 2001 17:32:42
Message: <3c0ea08a@news.povray.org>
In article <3c0e9dcf.9118910@news.povray.org> , ken### [at] uniplanit (Angelo
'kENpEX' Pesce) wrote:

>>If you had ever looked at the source code you would know that it is fairly
>>modular (well, as modular as a 1980s C program could be)...
>
> Yep. So you can agree that it will not be a big mistake if a support
> for dynamic module loading is added, where possible...

No, I can't.  In fact I would probably be the front line getting all the
annoyed or confused Mac users when they find a scene that doesn't render.
Of course they would want me to port it.  Now imagine some idiot designing a
module for Windows using some Windows API functions (if they are useful or
needed, is not up to me but to the idiot).  Those scene would no longer work
anywhere but on Windows.  What a perfect world that would be - there would
be no more portability concerns ;-)

Or, maybe I should draw a line in the sand and say:
This feature will only make it into POV-Ray over my dead body!

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich
e-mail: mac### [at] povrayorg

I am a member of the POV-Ray Team.

On Wed, 05 Dec 2001 23:32:40 +0100, "Thorsten Froehlich"
<tho### [at] trfde> wrote:

>In article <3c0e9dcf.9118910@news.povray.org> , ken### [at] uniplanit (Angelo
>'kENpEX' Pesce) wrote:
>
>>>If you had ever looked at the source code you would know that it is fairly
>>>modular (well, as modular as a 1980s C program could be)...
>>
>> Yep. So you can agree that it will not be a big mistake if a support
>> for dynamic module loading is added, where possible...
>
>No, I can't.  In fact I would probably be the front line getting all the
>annoyed or confused Mac users when they find a scene that doesn't render.
>Of course they would want me to port it.  Now imagine some idiot designing a
>module for Windows using some Windows API functions (if they are useful or
>needed, is not up to me but to the idiot).  Those scene would no longer work
>anywhere but on Windows.  What a perfect world that would be - there would
>be no more portability concerns ;-)
>
>Or, maybe I should draw a line in the sand and say:
>This feature will only make it into POV-Ray over my dead body!
> POV-Ray on the web: http://mac.povray.org

Ok, I understand that there are problems with it, but as this is a
really needed feature imho we should try to find a workaround... Why
not trying to make a fast, compiled script support (in a
meta-bytecode, like renderman). Or better, why not integrate renderman
shader support into povray (povman rulez!)?

Post a reply to this message