POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Povray 4? wish list : Re: Povray 4? wish list Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:23:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Povray 4? wish list
From: Angelo 'kENpEX' Pesce
Date: 5 Dec 2001 18:22:16
Message: <3c0ea99a.12137557@news.povray.org>
Mhmmm I got many, many interesting replyies to my post, even more than
I expected. Sorry for the (small) flames, sorry for some lame
questions and for my bad english... I feel it's time to update my
personal wish list now, so I'll repost it :P

1) Programmable shaders
So I've understood that having something like compiled-plugins is not
possible with povray... Now what? the only alternative I can think of
is making them with scripts, mabye supporting directly the renderman
specification (povman is great)... The problem with this is that's
really really harder to do, and to do it fast! Mabye a compiled script
(like renderman system) should be used, something like java-vm...

2) Focus more on rendering speed than on adding new rendering
algorithms for the future

3) Support for nurbs surfaces and subdivision surfaces, with
automatic, adaptive tessellation (rulez!)

4) Blurred reflection, I think this can be done adaptively (shoot more
rays if reflection hit is far away, or better, shoot rays until max
ray hit distance is smaller than a threshold), motion blur (really
needed for animations). I was thinking that photon mapping can be done
adaptively too, but I don't want to talk about this as I don't know
how it's going to be implemented in pov3.5. Adaptive DOF, the same
stuff as above...

5) compiled scene-scripts support. Why I added this again??? Because
it's really useful if you want to do:

6) a rendering strip distribuiton server/client tool (external) over a
tcp/ip network... It would be nice to have also things like load
balancing (if U have a faster script-loading support you can affod
subdividing the scene into fine strips to do better balancing), client
hotplugging/deplugging/error-managment, multiple scene support

7) displacement mapping

8) particle system? fur/hair system? neural-network genetic-algorithm
auto-scene-generation-system-that-even-does-the-coffee-while-waiting-for-rendering??
mabye I'm asking tooo much :P but well, if U don't ask...