POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Question about the photon patch Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:32:49 EDT (-0400)
  Question about the photon patch (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Nieminen Mika
Subject: Question about the photon patch
Date: 21 Mar 1999 09:52:07
Message: <36f50797.0@news.povray.org>
If I make a cylinder like this:

cylinder { -y*2,y*2,1 material { Glass } photons { ... } }

and put it on a plane, I get a nice caustic highlight on the plane, but if I
make the cylinder hollow this way:

difference
{ cylinder { -y*2,y*2,1 }
  cylinder { -y*1.8,y*2.01,.8 }
  material { Glass }
  photons { ... }
}

I don't get any caustic highlight anymore.

  This may:
  a) just work fine. I don't get a caustic higlight on the plane because I
shouldn't, because this kind of object doesn't refract the light in that way.
  b) be a bug in the program.
  c) be because I haven't understood how photons work.

  Which one of those answers is correct and why?