POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Re: A portable POV-Ray graphical interface? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:20:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A portable POV-Ray graphical interface? (Message 1 to 10 of 15)
From: Roland Mas
Subject: Re: A portable POV-Ray graphical interface?
Date: 6 Sep 1998 23:02:42
Message: <m3r9xon0gu.fsf@rpc66.acr.atr.co.jp>
par### [at] my-dejanewscom (Ron Parker) writes:

> If you make a Tk interface, please keep in mind that some of us might
> want to use it with Perl/Tk.

  Sorry guy, I think I'll do it in Python. Not because I think it's
better than Perl (I have _never_ written any Python yet, don't charge
me for religion wars), but because I want to try it.

> Also, keep in mind that the new POVLEGAL
> specifically forbids making new interfaces, so you won't be able to
> distribute your changes without the blessing of the POV-Team.

  Er... <URL:http://www.povray.org/docs/pov3002f.htm#ref 40 pri 0>
does not say a word about making interfaces. And my
/usr/local/lib/povray3/povlegal.doc does not either. So for now I
haven't heard of such limitations. Maybe both of these are out of date
(you seem to refer to a new one), but even in this case, there's no
way I'll download a Windows version just for this file. So, could you
please send (or post) the part of this file you're referring to?

  Thanks,

Roland.
--
Les francophones m'appellent Roland Mas,
English speakers call me Rowlannd' Mass,

Post a reply to this message

>par### [at] my-dejanewscom (Ron Parker) writes:
>
>> If you make a Tk interface, please keep in mind that some of us might
>> want to use it with Perl/Tk.
>
>  Sorry guy, I think I'll do it in Python. Not because I think it's
>better than Perl (I have _never_ written any Python yet, don't charge
>me for religion wars), but because I want to try it.
>
>> Also, keep in mind that the new POVLEGAL
>> specifically forbids making new interfaces, so you won't be able to
>> distribute your changes without the blessing of the POV-Team.

He is refering to the last paragraph:

=>To allow POV-Ray to interface with outside programs, the official
=>versions of POV-Ray include several "hooks" for it to call other
=>tasks.  For example: the generic part of POV-Ray provides
=>operating system shell-out commands. The Windows version has GUI-
=>extension hooks and the ability to replace the text editor.
=>Modification to these hooks or other officially supported
=>interface mechanisms to increase functionality beyond that of the
=>official version IS EXPRESSLY PROHIBITED.

How do you read it?

>  Er... <URL:http://www.povray.org/docs/pov3002f.htm#ref 40 pri 0>
>does not say a word about making interfaces. And my
>/usr/local/lib/povray3/povlegal.doc does not either. So for now I
>haven't heard of such limitations. Maybe both of these are out of date
>(you seem to refer to a new one), but even in this case, there's no
>way I'll download a Windows version just for this file. So, could you
>please send (or post) the part of this file you're referring to?

I posted it in povray.binaries.programming as "POVLEGAL.DOC for POV-Ray 3.1"

Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany

Post a reply to this message

"Thorsten Froehlich" <fro### [at] charliecnsiitedu> writes:

> He is refering to the last paragraph:
>
> =>To allow POV-Ray to interface with outside programs, the official
> =>versions of POV-Ray include several "hooks" for it to call other
> =>tasks.  For example: the generic part of POV-Ray provides
> =>operating system shell-out commands. The Windows version has GUI-
> =>extension hooks and the ability to replace the text editor.
> =>Modification to these hooks or other officially supported
> =>interface mechanisms to increase functionality beyond that of the
> =>official version IS EXPRESSLY PROHIBITED.
>
> How do you read it?

  Aow, that hurts... Anyway, that means I was going to be a complete
outlaw. If I may ask, why such a limitation?

> I posted it in povray.binaries.programming as "POVLEGAL.DOC for
> POV-Ray 3.1"

  I seem to have missed it (I don't read p.b.programming really often).
Sorry again,

Roland.

--
Les francophones m'appellent Roland Mas,
English speakers call me Rowlannd' Mass,
Nihongode hanasu hitoha [Lolando Masu] to iimasu.
Choisissez ! Take your pick ! Erande kudasai !

Post a reply to this message

>  Aow, that hurts... Anyway, that means I was going to be a complete
>outlaw. If I may ask, why such a limitation?

Try reading it again. And *please* dig out a dictionary and find the word "interface"!
Is "Interface" == "Graphical User Interface"? SO read the whole passage again. :-)

>  I seem to have missed it (I don't read p.b.programming really often).

Ups, no sorry, you got me wrong! I just posted it there today! No reason the sorry :-)

Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany

Post a reply to this message

"Thorsten Froehlich" <fro### [at] charliecnsiitedu> writes:

> Try reading it again. And *please* dig out a dictionary and find the
> word "interface"!  Is "Interface" == "Graphical User Interface"? SO
> read the whole passage again. :-)

  Correct me if I'm wrong... Does it mean I may _use_ the provided
hooks (that are program-to-program interfaces) and plug them into
_other_ functions (such as the ones that are a human-to-program
interface, graphical or not), if I do not modify these hooks? Or am I
once again completely off the point?

Roland.
--
Les francophones m'appellent Roland Mas,
English speakers call me Rowlannd' Mass,
Nihongode hanasu hitoha [Lolando Masu] to iimasu.
Choisissez ! Take your pick ! Erande kudasai !

Post a reply to this message

Chris or Thorsten can correct my interpertation if I am wrong.
My understanding of the new limitations is that you can not change
povray source to hook to or from other programs directly. It does not
limit you from calling povray from a shellout from your program.
Hopefully this will aleviate some of that pain! :)
David Reynolds

Roland Mas wrote:

> "Thorsten Froehlich" <fro### [at] charliecnsiitedu> writes:
>
> > Try reading it again. And *please* dig out a dictionary and find the
> > word "interface"!  Is "Interface" == "Graphical User Interface"? SO
> > read the whole passage again. :-)
>
>   Correct me if I'm wrong... Does it mean I may _use_ the provided
> hooks (that are program-to-program interfaces) and plug them into
> _other_ functions (such as the ones that are a human-to-program
> interface, graphical or not), if I do not modify these hooks? Or am I
> once again completely off the point?
>
> Roland.
> --
> Les francophones m'appellent Roland Mas,
> English speakers call me Rowlannd' Mass,
> Nihongode hanasu hitoha [Lolando Masu] to iimasu.
> Choisissez ! Take your pick ! Erande kudasai !

Post a reply to this message

In article <m37### [at] rpc66acratrcojp> , mas### [at] acratrcojp (Roland Mas)
wrote:
>> Try reading it again. And *please* dig out a dictionary and find the
>> word "interface"!  Is "Interface" == "Graphical User Interface"? SO
>> read the whole passage again. :-)
>
>  Correct me if I'm wrong... Does it mean I may _use_ the provided
>hooks (that are program-to-program interfaces) and plug them into
>_other_ functions (such as the ones that are a human-to-program
>interface, graphical or not), if I do not modify these hooks? Or am I
>once again completely off the point?

Note that I do *not* speak for the team (thats why an admin is here!), so all I say is
my opinion.

But you are right (this is a fact, not my opinion), this is how it is!  For example
Moray does exactly this, it uses the provided hooks and interface to access the
Windows version of POV-Ray.