POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Re: A portable POV-Ray graphical interface? : Re: A portable POV-Ray graphical interface? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:29:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A portable POV-Ray graphical interface?
From: Ronald L  Parker
Date: 7 Sep 1998 15:29:47
Message: <35f42350.561871@news.povray.org>
On 07 Sep 1998 11:03:13 +0900, mas### [at] acratrcojp (Roland Mas) wrote:

>par### [at] my-dejanewscom (Ron Parker) writes:
>
>> If you make a Tk interface, please keep in mind that some of us might
>> want to use it with Perl/Tk.
>
>  Sorry guy, I think I'll do it in Python. Not because I think it's
>better than Perl (I have _never_ written any Python yet, don't charge
>me for religion wars), but because I want to try it.

No apology necessary; I was just pointing out that if you make a Tk
interface to POVRay, no matter what language you plan to use it with,
and if you somehow manage to find a way to distribute it legally,
please try to make it general enough that we can use the same
interface with other tools like Perl, TCL, or even (gasp) Java.

I might be completely off my mark. I'm assuming that Tk is like ARexx
or OLE Automation, in that it allows you to export functionality from
an application for use in a scripting language.  If not, then ignore
my deranged babbling.  If so, then such exports qualify as a new
interface under the terms of the povlegal that Thorsten posted.

Also, please don't think I pointed out the new paragraph in the 3.1
version of the povlegal document to make life hard for you. Indeed, I
wish it weren't there myself, as I too have grand plans that require a
new interface to POV-Ray (and not just a GUI.)  I'll probably still do
an implementation of that new interface, but I can't distribute it
without getting it into the official version first.  But, as with all
changes, the POV Team has a good reason for limiting new interfaces,
and I have to say I agree with them.  So we just have to work within
the parameters that we have been given.