POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : A new custom version of POV Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:17:41 EDT (-0400)
  A new custom version of POV (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Daniel Fenner
Subject: A new custom version of POV
Date: 25 Aug 1998 19:07:36
Message: <35E33584.2C27CAAC@public.uni-hamburg.de>
Hey everybody,

    I wrote an unofficial version of POV-Ray.

What is new ?

The keywords #init_spline, #init_3d_spline, eval_spline and
eval_3d_spline allow you to use spline functions in your scene files.
I listed all changes I did to the source code in a file included in the
source archieve. It should be easy to port my patch to other platforms
or to include it into your custom version of POV-Ray.

If you are interested visit my homepage
http://www.geocities.com/ResearchTriangle/Thinktank/7666/

if you have questions and/or remarks let me know it :
Dan### [at] publicuni-hamburgde

Post a reply to this message

Daniel Fenner <Dan### [at] publicuni-hamburgde> wrote:
: The keywords #init_spline, #init_3d_spline, eval_spline and
: eval_3d_spline allow you to use spline functions in your scene files.

  Are you completely sure you can't make those spline calculations with
macros and mathematical functions in pov3.1?
  (ie: why to use a custom compile when you can use just an include file
with the official version?)

--
                                                              - Warp. -

Post a reply to this message

> Daniel Fenner <Dan### [at] publicuni-hamburgde> wrote:
> : The keywords #init_spline, #init_3d_spline, eval_spline and
> : eval_3d_spline allow you to use spline functions in your scene files.
>
>   Are you completely sure you can't make those spline calculations with
> macros and mathematical functions in pov3.1?
>   (ie: why to use a custom compile when you can use just an include file
> with the official version?)
>
> --
>                                                               - Warp. -

Indeed I am completely sure that all the calculations can be done by a
macro,include,...
I got the idea for the splines from a quite tricky include file

same as my compile. But there are reasons to use the custom compile. It is
about 1000 times faster (which is not a real reason if you are using only
one or two splines with a few control points) and it is MUCH easier to use.

happy tracing
                        Daniel