POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Paul Stamets Interview Server Time
26 May 2024 14:23:09 EDT (-0400)
  Paul Stamets Interview (Message 11 to 20 of 29)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 9 Messages >>>
From: clipka
Subject: Re: Paul Stamets Interview
Date: 14 Dec 2017 01:02:17
Message: <5a3213e9$1@news.povray.org>
Am 14.12.2017 um 01:38 schrieb Bald Eagle:

> SDL is not intelligent.
> POV-Ray is not intelligent.
> The parser is not intelligent (just ask clipka!)

Intelligence as we know it is the result of errors. The parser contains
gazillions of errors. Therefore, the parser must be an AI.
QED.

"It's life, Jim, but not as we know it."

:-P

> The slime mold example seems to be a Clockwork Orange.   There is no objective
> autonomy which consciously makes decisions of its own accord.   There is a
> programmed array of cells that are acted on by its environment and responds in a
> certain manner.
> There doesn't seem to be much more intelligence there than a liquid adopting the
> shape of its complex container, or a clock, or a GPS navigation system
> calculating the fastest route given current traffic conditions, or a
> supercomputer arriving at a programmed solution to a fluid dynamics problem or a
> finite element optimization of a suspension bridge.

I totally agree. I'd say the slime mold is an /elegant/ solver of
certain problems, but not necessarily an /intelligent/ one.

"Intelligence" derives from the Latin verb "intelligere" - to
comprehend, or perceive.

So in its original meaning intelligence is not about /solving/ problems,
but /understanding/ them (or the world as a whole, or one's own existence).

That's not the same as the "I" in "IQ", of course, but that "I" isn't a
quality anyway, but rather a quantity. You could talk about a slime mold
having a non-zero IQ. But when used in a qualitative sense, we most
certainly have to turn to the "I" in "AI".

In that qualitative sense, "intelligence" is not about /if/ you can
solve problems, but /how/ you do so -- it is a certain /approach/ to
solve problems. And in contrast to the slime mold's superpowers, it is
one that is extremely versatile, and can do more than just solve Steiner
tree problems.(*)

(* Well, yes, slime mold can also solve other problems. But only if that
problem is re-formulated into an analogous Steiner tree problem by an
external entity.)

Post a reply to this message