POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : OS as a Service Server Time
6 Oct 2024 17:25:41 EDT (-0400)
  OS as a Service (Message 38 to 47 of 97)
From: clipka
Subject: Re: OS as a Service
Date: 3 Aug 2015 17:49:10
Message: <55bfe1d6$1@news.povray.org>
Am 03.08.2015 um 21:35 schrieb Orchid Win7 v1:
> On 03/08/2015 08:10 AM, clipka wrote:
>> Or
>> Microsoft's primary programming language and environment, Visual Studio
>> and C#, which in my book is as close as anyone has ever gotten to a
>> programmer's dream.
>
> Um... hello there. :-}

Don't say a word. You're a Haskell enthusiast, and therefore by
definition you don't have programmer's dreams - you have psychotic
hallucinations :-P

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 3 Aug 2015 19:36:08
Message: <55bffae8$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 03 Aug 2015 20:47:49 +0100, Stephen wrote:

> On 8/3/2015 7:46 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> Interaction design = design that implements features that facilitate
>> useful user interaction, rather than features that are focused on "we
>> implemented this feature, and here's an interface to use it".
>>
>> For example, if you have an application that protects web resources,
>> the interface needs to facilitate protecting web resources - it should
>> not focus on configuring individual objects that are used to protect
>> those resources, and leave it to the user to figure out how they are
>> related to each other.
>>
>> Tie idea is that there needs to be some elegance and simplicity in the
>> design.*Most*  software "design" is done during development, rather
>> than preceding it, and so the form follows the interface rather than
>> designing how the interface workflow should work, and then using that
>> as scaffolding for the underlying code that takes care of the details.
>

> I think I disagree with that concept.
> For me, education is King or Queen. (I am an equal opportunity know it
> all.)
> When you start simplifying complex software to the extent you think the
> man on the Clapham omnibus can operate it without any training. You are
> doing no one any favours. I learnt a word recently. It is nerfed. And
> that is the Micro$oft way.
> Form should follow function, not the other way around.
> IMO

Take a look at Apple products and interfaces, then take a look at
Microsoft products and interfaces.

Apple understands the benefits of designing before you implement the
backend.

The trick is to not dumb down the capabilities, but to make them easy to
use.

Jim