POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : OS as a Service : Re: OS as a Service Server Time
6 Oct 2024 15:18:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: OS as a Service
From: scott
Date: 4 Aug 2015 03:34:38
Message: <55c06b0e$1@news.povray.org>
> To say nothing of the privacy and confidentiality issues of having
> Microsoft have access to every file you ever create. (I doubt too many
> corporate types would like having their propriety data on a hostile 3rd
> party server.)

That's why I say medium-large corporations will be the problem. They
have set, highly evolved ways of doing things (including security) and
will be reluctant to change.

>> Their big problem will be the medium-large corporations that take
>> months, if not years to test and roll out major software updates. There
>> is no way they would accept the possibility of one day their entire
>> company coming to a halt with millions of pounds lost due to an MS
>> "update" that has broken something somewhere within their business. Also
>> a lot of systems are not connected to the internet for various reasons,
>> how would they work?
>
> They also have a problem with SOHO setups where people wouldn't know
> what "computer security" is if it hit them in the face.

I wouldn't be surprised if having all your files on a remote MS server
somewhere woudl actually be *more secure* than left on someone's SOHO
setup that has no clue about security.