POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : OS as a Service Server Time
8 Jul 2024 08:04:03 EDT (-0400)
  OS as a Service (Message 11 to 20 of 97)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: OS as a Service
Date: 31 Jul 2015 11:40:32
Message: <55bb96f0$1@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 30 Jul 2015 22:49:00 -0700, Patrick Elliott wrote:

> On 7/30/2015 9:48 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> If you'd asked me 10 years ago what I thought of SaaS, I'd have said
>> that I thought it was a scam.  Now that I've seen it up close in a
>> company that sells with that model, and have had the growth trajectory
>> explained by financial people who understand it *and* who understand
>> how to explain it, I see the benefits, both to the company and to the
>> customer and end user.
>>
>> A loyal customer for a software company isn't a customer who buys once
>> and never comes back - even if they never change products.  A loyal
>> customer is a customer who continues to fund further development so the
>> developers can continue to improve the product for the benefit of the
>> customer.
>>
>> Jim
>>
> However... With respect, I already pay like $30-40 a month for access to
> certain online games. To suggest that I have to pay for the OS they run
> on as well, and a similar amount..

Not all operating systems are free.  Someone has to develop them, and
those developers need to eat.

But my comment was more about SaaS in general, not OSaaS.

Jim

From: Stephen
Date: 31 Jul 2015 12:40:52
Message: <55bba514$1@news.povray.org>
On 7/31/2015 4:03 PM, scott wrote:
>> I think that you are in a privileged position. You work in the
>> automotive industry and in R&D.
>
> You must have a good memory, because I quit that job over 3 years ago
> :-) This place makes industrial printing equipment.

My wife might not agree with you. :)
I think that you have mentioned the industry since you left.

> Still I think any
> bargain PC can handle remote desktop, the bottleneck seems to be the
> internet connection between my house network and my work network. Remote
> desktop works seamlessly within each network, but try to access one from
> the other and it is very awkward to use.

Probably just the crappy companies I've worked for.

>> The number of times I have forgotten what I was going to do by the time
>> the machine had drawn the screen are legend. Not all the time of course
>> but enough to raise raise your frustration levels to boiling point.
>
> Oh that happens regularly here too on other system, just not seen it on
> remote desktop across the same network. Try getting in to work and then
> waiting over 30 mins for your PC to boot. I just lock mine over night now.

Routine:
Arrive, switch on PC, take of jacket, go for coffee, log on, talk to
early starters. Look to see if it is ready. :)

>> I wish I lived in your world. :)
>
> I'd find out a bit more about it first if I were you :-)

I know. The other man's grass is always stronger. ;-)

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message