POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : OS as a Service : Re: OS as a Service Server Time
6 Oct 2024 06:37:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: OS as a Service
From: Stephen
Date: 31 Jul 2015 15:21:41
Message: <55bbcac5$1@news.povray.org>
On 7/31/2015 7:47 PM, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:

 > Selling "support" also works. Provided you have the staff to actually
 > deliver support.

The sector I work in, often supply the software customisation at what
they hope is break even prices. To get the support contract.

 > Or just a licence to download any and all new versions that get put out
 > in the next X months. Keep paying if you want new stuff.
 >
 > Or paying to have a customised version of the product. (But that's sort
 > of tantamount to saying "our product is so hard to set up, you need to
 > pay us to do it for you". Not a great thing to say!)

Shhh!

 > Or hell, even paying for the development of specific features that you
 > particularly need. The trouble with this one is that
 >
 > * Usually there's only one or two specific features a given customer
 > needs. Once those are done, no revenue stream.

Not necessarily. SAP helped Shell configure their system for offshore
logistics. Then sold the solution to other oil companies as an Industry
Solution. They did the same with Rolls Royce Aero-systems and created an
expensive IS-Aero module. Which they sell to aircraft companies. (That
is the system that will be able to tell the investigators of the MH370
crash. Which aeroplane the flaperon came from.)

--

Regards
     Stephen