POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Need a new computer, need advice Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:27:30 EDT (-0400)
  Need a new computer, need advice (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: Samuel Benge
Subject: Need a new computer, need advice
Date: 22 Aug 2013 15:50:00
Message: <web.52166b4c1697b821942c68130@news.povray.org>
Hello everyone,

Well I've had the same computer since 2007, and I think it's now time for an
upgrade. I'd like to spend less than $750 if I can. I will probably be building
the thing myself this time. Here are my questions:

Should I go with a 32 or 64-bit system?

Windows 7 or 8?

What kind of GPU should I get? I'd like something with CUDA, as I want to take
advantage of Blender's support for hardware rendering. Besides, there are other
things out there CUDA is good for (3D cellular automata, real-time raytracing
engines, etc.). The card would also have to be good enough to play Minecraft on
the "far" distance setting without any lag, possibly using the pixel shader mods
out there without any slowdown, as well.

What cheap (but good) AV software would you recommend? Are the updates huge?

So I pretty much just need a good graphics and gaming computer. Your thoughts?

Sam

Post a reply to this message

Le 22/08/2013 21:49, Samuel Benge nous fit lire :
> Hello everyone,
>
> Well I've had the same computer since 2007, and I think it's now time for an
> upgrade. I'd like to spend less than $750 if I can. I will probably be building
> the thing myself this time. Here are my questions:
>
> Should I go with a 32 or 64-bit system?

If more than 3.5 GB of ram, 64 bits system is better. (but may be more
expensive)

> Windows 7 or 8?

Well, If you have to use Windows, the German Government is now warning
that 8 is an unacceptable security risks. Up to you.
I heard that the Start button will be back in 8.1... may be just a rumor.

> What kind of GPU should I get? I'd like something with CUDA, as I want to take
> advantage of Blender's support for hardware rendering. Besides, there are other
> things out there CUDA is good for (3D cellular automata, real-time raytracing
> engines, etc.). The card would also have to be good enough to play Minecraft on
> the "far" distance setting without any lag, possibly using the pixel shader mods
> out there without any slowdown, as well.

If Cuda, it's a nvidia card. I heard GTX 570 were fine (and stay away
from Titan (overpriced))... now if you can put a hand on it; seems the
market is 6xx or 7xx only now.

I presume you will keep your current display, so check (and double
check) the connector on the model you will buy (VGA is dead, DVI is
obsolete, HDMI is painful and compromised... and 4K is only in 2.0 yet
to be finalized, displayport is limited in single link to 2560x1600 and
might come as minidisplayport, so no real good connector but the one you
have).

> What cheap (but good) AV software would you recommend? Are the updates huge?

Ah!! the cheapest one anyway, with free update...

> So I pretty much just need a good graphics and gaming computer. Your thoughts?

Gaming computers are extreme... at $750, you won't go far (from an
extreme gamer point of view: the graphic card will be already in the
$300+ and some bridge two of them...

Post a reply to this message

> Well I've had the same computer since 2007, and I think it's now time for an
> upgrade. I'd like to spend less than $750 if I can. I will probably be building
> the thing myself this time. Here are my questions:
>
> Should I go with a 32 or 64-bit system?

Definitely 64bit.

A few months back I upgraded to an AMD FX8350 and an nVidia GTX 650 for
a pretty good price. Including a new case, PSU, motherboard and RAM it

which helped keep the price down.

> Windows 7 or 8?

I stuck with Windows 7 as I already had that so just reinstalled it on
my new machine without issue. At some point Windows 8 will become the
"norm", but I saw no reason to upgrade yet as everything is still
compatible with W7. Unless you fancy getting a touch screen, developing
apps with the latest MS tools, or have some programs that are Win8-only
then I would stick with Win7 for now.

> What kind of GPU should I get? I'd like something with CUDA, as I want to take
> advantage of Blender's support for hardware rendering. Besides, there are other
> things out there CUDA is good for (3D cellular automata, real-time raytracing
> engines, etc.). The card would also have to be good enough to play Minecraft on
> the "far" distance setting without any lag, possibly using the pixel shader mods
> out there without any slowdown, as well.

My 650 was the best value here in the UK at the time, it might be worth
looking at something like http://www.cpubenchmark.net/ and figuring out
the best performance you can get for your budget (this applies for both
the CPU and GPU).

> What cheap (but good) AV software would you recommend? Are the updates huge?

I've been using the free MS one (Windows Security Essentials or
something) since the launch of Windows 7 and never had any issues (but
then before that for many years I never had any AV and never got
infected, so not exactly statistically significant). I've never had to
really do anything with the program, it just runs and updates completely
silently in the background.

Post a reply to this message

On Fri, 23 Aug 2013 08:27:17 +0100, scott wrote:

>> Windows 7 or 8?
>
> I stuck with Windows 7 as I already had that so just reinstalled it on
> my new machine without issue. At some point Windows 8 will become the
> "norm",
> but I saw no reason to upgrade yet as everything is still compatible
> with W7. Unless you fancy getting a touch screen, developing apps with
> the latest MS tools, or have some programs that are Win8-only then I
> would stick with Win7 for now.

One thing a relative of mine pointed out is that in some cases, if you
get a system with Win8, you also get a license that lets you install Win7
- that's something to look at, certainly.

Jim

Post a reply to this message