POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mars needs to get the heck out of the Uncanny Valley Server Time
30 Jul 2024 08:28:53 EDT (-0400)
  Mars needs to get the heck out of the Uncanny Valley (Message 41 to 50 of 51)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 1 Messages >>>
From: scott
Subject: Re: Mars needs to get the heck out of the Uncanny Valley
Date: 7 Apr 2011 05:37:46
Message: <4d9d85ea@news.povray.org>
> This stuff is improving all the time of course. They have now managed to
> get believable fur and basic water working in CGI. But I've yet to see
> anybody manage really high-quality smoke or flames yet.

Google/YouTube "real time smoke" - there are plenty of implementations
of the physical fluid equations to produce realistic 3D volume smoke in
real time on GPUs.  Obviously if you're making a film you are not
limited to real time, I'd be very surprised if you couldn't make 100%
believable smoke for a film.

If you want some technical detail:

http://http.developer.nvidia.com/GPUGems3/gpugems3_ch30.html

Post a reply to this message

>> This stuff is improving all the time of course. They have now managed to
>> get believable fur and basic water working in CGI. But I've yet to see
>> anybody manage really high-quality smoke or flames yet.
>
> Google/YouTube "real time smoke" - there are plenty of implementations
> of the physical fluid equations to produce realistic 3D volume smoke in
> real time on GPUs. Obviously if you're making a film you are not limited
> to real time, I'd be very surprised if you couldn't make 100% believable
> smoke for a film.

Certainly I remember seeing an nVidia demo that renders puffs of smoke
in a glass tank.

The *motion* of the smoke was very, very convincing. The visual
appearance of the smoke itself, however, was much less convincing. I'm
not sure precisely why. Probably because to make it look right, you need
global illumination, scattering and so forth.

Post a reply to this message