POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mars needs to get the heck out of the Uncanny Valley : Re: Mars needs to get the heck out of the Uncanny Valley Server Time
30 Jul 2024 06:21:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mars needs to get the heck out of the Uncanny Valley
From: scott
Date: 7 Apr 2011 05:37:46
Message: <4d9d85ea@news.povray.org>
> This stuff is improving all the time of course. They have now managed to
> get believable fur and basic water working in CGI. But I've yet to see
> anybody manage really high-quality smoke or flames yet.

Google/YouTube "real time smoke" - there are plenty of implementations
of the physical fluid equations to produce realistic 3D volume smoke in
real time on GPUs.  Obviously if you're making a film you are not
limited to real time, I'd be very surprised if you couldn't make 100%
believable smoke for a film.

If you want some technical detail:

http://http.developer.nvidia.com/GPUGems3/gpugems3_ch30.html