POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mars needs to get the heck out of the Uncanny Valley : Re: Mars needs to get the heck out of the Uncanny Valley Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:20:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mars needs to get the heck out of the Uncanny Valley
From: gregjohn
Date: 8 Apr 2011 07:20:00
Message: <web.4d9eee6ade00569634d207310@news.povray.org>
Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
> On 06/04/2011 02:49 PM, nemesis wrote:
> >>
> >> 2. I see motion capture as the future.
> >

> I don't think that cartoons are going away anytime soon. But I think the
> future of trying to look real is in motion capture.
>
> >> It gives you far more expression with far less work.
> >
> > It gives you far *less* expression with less work.
>
> If you animate by hand, then absolutely everything that happens must be
> animated by hand. The result is either extremely expensive or not very
> expressive. The human face, on the other hand, has evolved over billions
> of years and constantly transmits emotion, intentionally or not. And
> actors have spent centuries perfecting the art of emoting. These people
> know what they're doing.

Possible citation error above, FWIW.

Rank of expressiveness:

1) Cartoon drawn by master
   COST: medium

2) Pixar animators (cool geeks) coding their own performance in front of a
mirror
   COST: medium-high

3) Real human captured directly on film
   COST: low to super-high

4) Real human with a dozen electrodes glued to his face, in front of a green
screen. Uncool nerd then performs a lot of data massaging and turns it into a
creepy onscreen UV performance.
   COST: Very high