POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mars needs to get the heck out of the Uncanny Valley Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:10:30 EDT (-0400)
  Mars needs to get the heck out of the Uncanny Valley (Message 21 to 30 of 51)
From: Nekar Xenos
Subject: Re: Mars needs to get the heck out of the Uncanny Valley
Date: 6 Apr 2011 11:53:56
Message: <op.vtiw32ayufxv4h@xena>
On Wed, 06 Apr 2011 16:26:23 +0200, Le_Forgeron <lef### [at] freefr> wro
te:

>> It's an irreversible future, I think.  Simply recording the images wa

>> just the
>> primitive beginning...
>>
> Are we going to see any realtime rendering/animations by some
> DJ-equivalent anytime soon, as performance at nearby entertainment pla
ce

> ?
>
> Live spectacle of artificial images & sounds.

It will probably use CryEngine...

--

-Nekar Xenos-

Post a reply to this message

From: nemesis
Date: 6 Apr 2011 13:18:41
Message: <4d9ca071@news.povray.org>
Invisible escreveu:
> On 06/04/2011 02:49 PM, nemesis wrote:
>>> 1. Pixar *is* Disney.
>>
>> It's not.
>
> Disney bought Pixar a while back.

Nominaly, yes.  Practically, more like the inverse. :)

It's still not Disney, though.

>>> 2. I see motion capture as the future.
>>

> I don't think that cartoons are going away anytime soon. But I think the
> future of trying to look real is in motion capture.

certainly.

>>> It gives you far more expression with far less work.
>>
>> It gives you far *less* expression with less work.
>
> If you animate by hand, then absolutely everything that happens must be
> animated by hand. The result is either extremely expensive or not very
> expressive. The human face, on the other hand, has evolved over billions
> of years and constantly transmits emotion, intentionally or not. And
> actors have spent centuries perfecting the art of emoting. These people
> know what they're doing.

http://files.sharenator.com/steven_segal_emotion_chart_Steven_Seagal_Emotion_Chart-s513x708-65813-580.jpg

compare to:

http://www.animationarchive.org/pics/pbanimation19-big.jpg

:)

--
a game sig: http://tinyurl.com/d3rxz9

Post a reply to this message

From: nemesis
Date: 6 Apr 2011 13:22:35
Message: <4d9ca15b@news.povray.org>
Invisible escreveu:
>> Why wait for a great sunny day to shoot when your digital sun and blue
>> sky look better with no sign of smog?
>
> I think the difficulty of waiting for a sunny day is utterly eclipsed by
> the sheer intractability of rendering realistic smoke, flames, dirt,
> surf...

I'm seeing realistic enough smoke, flames and dirt in games these days,
let alone in movies...