POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : WebGL Server Time
28 Jul 2024 06:25:11 EDT (-0400)
  WebGL (Message 1 to 10 of 12)
From: Nekar Xenos
Subject: WebGL
Date: 23 Nov 2014 11:11:57
Message: <op.xpscl5hlufxv4h@xena.home>
I've been building a scene with Goo Create for a couple of days now.

Suddenly today I get the message that webgl is disabled on chrome. Even
is\f I enable it manually.

So I installed Firefox. I tried testing with ShaderToy first. This
resulted in FireFox becoming unresponsive.

I have a 1Gb ATI HD5770 which has no double precission floating point
suppport. Could that be the problem? Yet that wouldn't explain why it
worked in the first place.

Has anyone had similar problems before?

Any ideas on how to fix this?

My cell-phone can run Goo Create but not my PC!?!

--
-Nekar Xenos-

Post a reply to this message

On 11/23/2014 9:11 AM, Nekar Xenos wrote:
> I've been building a scene with Goo Create for a couple of days now.
>
> Suddenly today I get the message that webgl is disabled on chrome. Even
> is\f I enable it manually.
>
> So I installed Firefox. I tried testing with ShaderToy first. This
> resulted in FireFox becoming unresponsive.
>
> I have a 1Gb ATI HD5770 which has no double precission floating point
> suppport. Could that be the problem? Yet that wouldn't explain why it
> worked in the first place.
>
> Has anyone had similar problems before?
>
> Any ideas on how to fix this?
>
> My cell-phone can run Goo Create but not my PC!?!

Uh, yeah, Shadertoy uses some damn complicated loading, which something
about how Firefox threads its connections **does not like**. The same
site works like a gem in Chrome and relative browsers (and, with few
exceptions works better, since Firefox is missing "some" of the features
used by a subset of the examples).

I have no idea about the webgl issue, or why it would happen though. :p

--
Commander Vimes: "You take a bunch of people who don't seem any
different from you and me, but when you add them all together you get

Post a reply to this message

From: Nekar Xenos
Date: 24 Nov 2014 12:40:07
Message: <op.xpubc1nmufxv4h@xena.home>
On Mon, 24 Nov 2014 19:02:55 +0200, Patrick Elliott <kag### [at] gmailcom>
wrote:

> On 11/23/2014 9:11 AM, Nekar Xenos wrote:
>> I've been building a scene with Goo Create for a couple of days now.
>>
>> Suddenly today I get the message that webgl is disabled on chrome. Even
>> is\f I enable it manually.
>>
>> So I installed Firefox. I tried testing with ShaderToy first. This
>> resulted in FireFox becoming unresponsive.
>>
>> I have a 1Gb ATI HD5770 which has no double precission floating point
>> suppport. Could that be the problem? Yet that wouldn't explain why it
>> worked in the first place.
>>
>> Has anyone had similar problems before?
>>
>> Any ideas on how to fix this?
>>
>> My cell-phone can run Goo Create but not my PC!?!
>>
> Uh, yeah, Shadertoy uses some damn complicated loading, which something
> about how Firefox threads its connections **does not like**. The same
> site works like a gem in Chrome and relative browsers (and, with few
> exceptions works better, since Firefox is missing "some" of the features
> used by a subset of the examples).
>
> I have no idea about the webgl issue, or why it would happen though. :p

So I only tried launching Goo Create in FireFox afterwards - and it
works!?!

Google Goo Create works in FireFox but NOT in Google Chrome!?! :P

this is the message I get on Chrome:
"
Please enable WebGL

It appears as though WebGL has been disabled in your browser.

To enable WebGL in Chrome

Enter "chrome://flags/" in your address bar.
Under Experiments disable Disable WebGL (yes, it's confusing).
At the bottom of the page, accept the offer to "Relaunch Now".
Not something you can do right now? Check out this intro video instead!
"

I tried enabling webgl, but it didn't work.

*confused*

--
-Nekar Xenos-

Post a reply to this message

From: Bald Eagle
Date: 24 Nov 2014 15:25:01
Message: <web.5473938324d3f3765e7df57c0@news.povray.org>
I'd say try:

rebooting the browser after enabling WEBGL

reinstalling the browser

I have many issues with browsers and displaying content properly - but then
again, I'm trying to keep them small and agile - currently using SeaMonkey.

If that doesn't work for what I need, I have about 7 other browsers....

Chrome
Opera
Opera Next
Safari
Avant
SlimBrowser
Firefox
QupZilla

TorchBrowser and GreenBrowser sucked so bad that I instantly deleted them.
I'm sure I have experimented with more at some point....

Post a reply to this message

From: Francois Labreque
Date: 25 Nov 2014 08:28:21
Message: <547483f5@news.povray.org>

> I've been building a scene with Goo Create for a couple of days now.
>
> Suddenly today I get the message that webgl is disabled on chrome. Even
> is\f I enable it manually.
>
> So I installed Firefox. I tried testing with ShaderToy first. This
> resulted in FireFox becoming unresponsive.

I have bitblt issues with Firefox's menus when I enable hardware
accelearation, and when I disable it, Goo Create tells me my browser is
ancient.  :(

It's not my browser that's ancient, it's my PC!

From: Nekar Xenos
Date: 25 Nov 2014 13:38:55
Message: <op.xpv8q02eufxv4h@xena.home>
On Mon, 24 Nov 2014 22:22:27 +0200, Bald Eagle
<cre### [at] netscapenet> wrote:

> I'd say try:
>
> rebooting the browser after enabling WEBGL

No change.

> reinstalling the browser

No change here either. But maybe I should uninstall and delete the folder
and try again.

Opera and Safari gave the same message as Chrome.

Firefox works fine until I enable post effects which results in a crazy
distorted camera. Disabling the post effects fixes everything again.

--
-Nekar Xenos-

Post a reply to this message

From: Nekar Xenos
Date: 25 Nov 2014 13:40:51
Message: <op.xpv8t8lnufxv4h@xena.home>
On Tue, 25 Nov 2014 15:28:03 +0200, Francois Labreque

<fla### [at] videotronca> wrote:

>> I've been building a scene with Goo Create for a couple of days now.
>>
>> Suddenly today I get the message that webgl is disabled on chrome. Ev
en
>> is\f I enable it manually.
>>
>> So I installed Firefox. I tried testing with ShaderToy first. This
>> resulted in FireFox becoming unresponsive.
>>

> I have bitblt issues with Firefox's menus when I enable hardware

> accelearation, and when I disable it, Goo Create tells me my browser i

> ancient.  :(
>
> It's not my browser that's ancient, it's my PC!

Gone are the days of the "Software Rendering" option...

--

-Nekar Xenos-

Post a reply to this message

From: Nekar Xenos
Date: 2 Dec 2014 13:10:20
Message: <op.xp852shiufxv4h@xena.home>
On Mon, 24 Nov 2014 19:40:03 +0200, Nekar Xenos <nek### [at] gmailcom>
wrote:

> So I only tried launching Goo Create in FireFox afterwards - and it
> works!?!
>
> Google Goo Create works in FireFox but NOT in Google Chrome!?! :P
>

> this is the message I get on Chrome:
> "
> Please enable WebGL
>
> It appears as though WebGL has been disabled in your browser.
>

> To enable WebGL in Chrome
>
> Enter "chrome://flags/" in your address bar.
> Under Experiments disable Disable WebGL (yes, it's confusing).
> At the bottom of the page, accept the offer to "Relaunch Now".
> Not something you can do right now? Check out this intro video instead!
> "
>
> I tried enabling webgl, but it didn't work.
>
> *confused*

Things just got stranger. Goo Create runs fine at work on Chrome on a
similar PC with a 512Mb 9600GT. It evens renders bloom. When Compared to
my 1Gb HD5770 the only thing better on the nVidia is the fact that it uses
less power. While Goo Create does run on FireFox on my PC, it doesn't
render bloom correctly.

--
-Nekar Xenos-

Post a reply to this message

From: Saul Luizaga
Date: 26 Dec 2014 11:26:20
Message: <549d8c2c$1@news.povray.org>
Nekar Xenos wrote:
> I have a 1Gb ATI HD5770 which has no double precission floating point
> suppport.

Looks like it, http://www.realtech-vr.com

Are you sure isn't a 4770? , the HD5000 series tend to have 256-bit
memory (DDR-5) bus and 64-bit FP support (double precision).

Do you used a diagnostic tool to check your DPFP?
You can use AIDA64 it iused to have a free version of the extreme
edition when they merged with Everst, anyway, once in it you can go to
Display -> GPGPU -> Device Features

Post a reply to this message

From: Nekar Xenos
Date: 27 Dec 2014 13:56:24
Message: <op.xrjivcdgufxv4h@xena.home>
On Fri, 26 Dec 2014 18:25:09 +0200, Saul Luizaga <sau### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

> Nekar Xenos wrote:
>> I have a 1Gb ATI HD5770 which has no double precission floating point
>> suppport.
>
> Looks like it, http://www.realtech-vr.com
>
> Are you sure isn't a 4770? , the HD5000 series tend to have 256-bit
> memory (DDR-5) bus and 64-bit FP support (double precision).
>
> Do you used a diagnostic tool to check your DPFP?
> You can use AIDA64 it iused to have a free version of the extreme
> edition when they merged with Everst, anyway, once in it you can go to
> Display -> GPGPU -> Device Features

Thanks. I downloaded AIDA64 trial and My HD5770 does not support DPFP

http://www.geeks3d.com/20091014/radeon-hd-5770-has-no-double-precision-floating-point-support/

And the HD4770 does support DPFP !?!?!?

--
-Nekar Xenos-