POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Interdimensional slices Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:23:49 EDT (-0400)
  Interdimensional slices (Message 1 to 10 of 45)
From: Nekar Xenos
Subject: Interdimensional slices
Date: 22 Jul 2013 16:48:18
Message: <op.w0m5epqbufxv4h@xena>
If you take a horzontal 2d slice of a human being near the center of the
torso, you will get 3 objects: 2 almost circular objects for the arms and
one ovalish shape for the torso. So if a 2d world could coincide with a 3d
world, a 2d being on that plane would see 3 objects and could not imagine
that it could be one object.

If we step it all up one dimension, you could have a 3-dimensional slice
of 4-dimensional object that would seem to be more than one 3d object to
us 3-dimensional beings.

Is this theoretically correct? Or am I missing something?

--
-Nekar Xenos-

Post a reply to this message

Am 22.07.2013 22:48, schrieb Nekar Xenos:
> If you take a horzontal 2d slice of a human being near the center of the
> torso, you will get 3 objects: 2 almost circular objects for the arms
> and one ovalish shape for the torso. So if a 2d world could coincide
> with a 3d world, a 2d being on that plane would see 3 objects and could
> not imagine that it could be one object.
>
> If we step it all up one dimension, you could have a 3-dimensional slice
> of 4-dimensional object that would seem to be more than one 3d object to
> us 3-dimensional beings.
>
> Is this theoretically correct? Or am I missing something?

You've gotten it absolutely right.

Think of, for instance, three blobs that over time merge into one. That
/is/ a single object in 4D spacetime, but at any one moment we can only
see a 3D slice of it, with some of the slices looking as if it were
three separate objects.

Post a reply to this message

> If you take a horzontal 2d slice of a human being near the center of the
> torso, you will get 3 objects: 2 almost circular objects for the arms
> and one ovalish shape for the torso. So if a 2d world could coincide
> with a 3d world, a 2d being on that plane would see 3 objects and could
> not imagine that it could be one object.
>
> If we step it all up one dimension, you could have a 3-dimensional slice
> of 4-dimensional object that would seem to be more than one 3d object to
> us 3-dimensional beings.
>
> Is this theoretically correct? Or am I missing something?

Sounds correct to me - if you haven't already read Flatland then I
recommend it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flatland

Post a reply to this message