POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Interdimensional slices : Re: Interdimensional slices Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:12:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Interdimensional slices
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 23 Jul 2013 03:56:57
Message: <51ee3749$1@news.povray.org>
On 22/07/2013 09:48 PM, Nekar Xenos wrote:
> Is this theoretically correct? Or am I missing something?

Nope, you're correct.

There are two main ways to transform a 4D object into something that our
3D senses can comprehend. One is to take a 3D slice out of the object
(which can obviously be done at different angles, and through different
points). The other is a "projection", rather like the way POV-Ray
transforms 3D scenes into 2D images. Like POV-Ray, you can do this two
ways - a perspective projection, and an orthographic projection.

Fun fact: If you slice off one corner of a cube, the new facet is
triangular. Similarly, if you slice off the corner of a hypercube, you
get a tetrahedron...