POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : 20th anniversary coming up. Server Time
27 Apr 2024 09:54:22 EDT (-0400)
  20th anniversary coming up. (Message 1 to 10 of 12)
From: Stephen
Subject: 20th anniversary coming up.
Date: 13 Jul 2018 12:20:42
Message: <5b48d15a$1@news.povray.org>
I found out about PovRay almost 20 years ago. I had been using Fractint
for a couple of years and PovRay was mentioned as a renderer that could
use for their *.pot files, a 16-bit file. Just the thing to generate an
animated flythrough over a plasma height field. I thought.
All these years later I have never got round to it.
I need to use a modeller due to a lack of skills in visualisation and
coding. And it has become obvious that Moray which passed its license to
the Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd in 2007, by the deafening
silence whenever I ask how it is going. That it never happen in my
lifetime. The Blender-PovRay addon suffers from a lack of response to
the bug reports I have submitted. So I will need to find another way to
render my images.
Over the next few months it will be: So long and thanks for all the
bananas. I will miss all the friends I have made on the newsgroups. But
most have drifted away or died which doesn’t help.
A special mention to Thomas who actually ran the TC-RTC on his own with
only a little help from me. Thanks Thomas.

At least you all will be spared my attempts at humour in the future. :-)

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

On Fri, 13 Jul 2018 17:20:32 +0100, Stephen wrote:

> I found out about PovRay almost 20 years ago. I had been using Fractint
> for a couple of years and PovRay was mentioned as a renderer that could
> use for their *.pot files, a 16-bit file. Just the thing to generate an
> animated flythrough over a plasma height field. I thought.
> All these years later I have never got round to it.
> I need to use a modeller due to a lack of skills in visualisation and
> coding. And it has become obvious that Moray which passed its license to
> the Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd in 2007, by the deafening
> silence whenever I ask how it is going. That it never happen in my
> lifetime. The Blender-PovRay addon suffers from a lack of response to
> the bug reports I have submitted. So I will need to find another way to
> render my images.
> Over the next few months it will be: So long and thanks for all the
> bananas. I will miss all the friends I have made on the newsgroups. But
> most have drifted away or died which doesn’t help.
> A special mention to Thomas who actually ran the TC-RTC on his own with
> only a little help from me. Thanks Thomas.
>
> At least you all will be spared my attempts at humour in the future. :-)

Sadly, the group does seem to be less active than it's been in the past.
Our mascot seems to have vanished - anyone heard from him lately?

It would be nice/interesting to see Moray resurrected as an open source
project, potentially with broader platform support.  I always preferred
it to other modeling software (I've played with Blender and a couple
others - one that I quite liked was Wings3D, which I couldn't actually
remember the name for until I started to type it).

Jim