POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : 20th anniversary coming up. : Re: 20th anniversary coming up. Server Time
9 May 2024 23:30:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 20th anniversary coming up.
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 13 Jul 2018 13:47:45
Message: <5b48e5c1$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 13 Jul 2018 17:20:32 +0100, Stephen wrote:

> I found out about PovRay almost 20 years ago. I had been using Fractint
> for a couple of years and PovRay was mentioned as a renderer that could
> use for their *.pot files, a 16-bit file. Just the thing to generate an
> animated flythrough over a plasma height field. I thought.
> All these years later I have never got round to it.
> I need to use a modeller due to a lack of skills in visualisation and
> coding. And it has become obvious that Moray which passed its license to
> the Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd in 2007, by the deafening
> silence whenever I ask how it is going. That it never happen in my
> lifetime. The Blender-PovRay addon suffers from a lack of response to
> the bug reports I have submitted. So I will need to find another way to
> render my images.
> Over the next few months it will be: So long and thanks for all the
> bananas. I will miss all the friends I have made on the newsgroups. But
> most have drifted away or died which doesn’t help.
> A special mention to Thomas who actually ran the TC-RTC on his own with
> only a little help from me. Thanks Thomas.
>
> At least you all will be spared my attempts at humour in the future. :-)

Sadly, the group does seem to be less active than it's been in the past.
Our mascot seems to have vanished - anyone heard from him lately?

It would be nice/interesting to see Moray resurrected as an open source
project, potentially with broader platform support.  I always preferred
it to other modeling software (I've played with Blender and a couple
others - one that I quite liked was Wings3D, which I couldn't actually
remember the name for until I started to type it).

Jim