POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Scots wha hae! Server Time
1 Jul 2024 02:32:53 EDT (-0400)
  Scots wha hae! (Message 20 to 29 of 39)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Scots wha hae!
Date: 17 Mar 2017 11:14:39
Message: <58cbfd5f$1@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 16 Mar 2017 22:42:36 +0000, Stephen wrote:

>> Yep.  She really had to, but I think she did a great job of getting
>> things lined up so she could say "we tried everything, and this is
>> quite literally the only option we have left".
>>
> She did that. She is no one's fool.

I wish we had a leader like her. :)

>>> Too horrible to think about. All parties were proponents of the big
>>> lie.
>>> Talk about a can of worms*
>>
>> Indeed.
>>
> I cannot believe how stupid people can be.

Never underestimate the power of people to ignore what's right in front
of their faces.  What's more, we all are "stupid" about something -
sometime it's ignorance, or just missing something critical (I had a
student in a class years ago who, for one of the labs, misread the
instructions and used the examples in the book verbatim, rather than
using the example as a guide to create a configuration file.  He got
halfway through the lab before he started having problems, and had to go
back and redo it.  Challenging thing for an instructor to deal with -
catching him up without making him feel bad about such a mistake in front
of the class (he was sitting in the front row, as I recall).

>> Just goes to show - never get into a pissing match with the US when it
>> comes to politics.  We'll always come back and say "here, hold my beer"
>> and do something more stupid.
>>
> Don't you mean: "Here hold my... Oh! my F'n nose" :P BTW You don't give
> a Glaswegian your weapon. ;)

Actually, for us, it usually involves fireworks or guns.  'Murica.

>> The UK had Brexit, but we had a Trump card.
>>
> And you're welcome to it.

Now what did I ever do to you? :P

Jim

On 3/17/2017 3:14 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Mar 2017 22:42:36 +0000, Stephen wrote:
>
>>> Yep.  She really had to, but I think she did a great job of getting
>>> things lined up so she could say "we tried everything, and this is
>>> quite literally the only option we have left".
>>>
>> She did that. She is no one's fool.
>
> I wish we had a leader like her. :)

>>> Indeed.
>>>
>> I cannot believe how stupid people can be.
>
> Never underestimate the power of people to ignore what's right in front
> of their faces.

I know. Most people only see what they want to see.

> What's more, we all are "stupid" about something -
> sometime it's ignorance, or just missing something critical (I had a
> student in a class years ago who, for one of the labs, misread the
> instructions and used the examples in the book verbatim, rather than
> using the example as a guide to create a configuration file.  He got
> halfway through the lab before he started having problems, and had to go
> back and redo it.  Challenging thing for an instructor to deal with -
> catching him up without making him feel bad about such a mistake in front
> of the class (he was sitting in the front row, as I recall).

Easily done and kudos to you. But the important thing is did he repeat
his mistake?
That is teaching?

>>> Just goes to show - never get into a pissing match with the US when it
>>> comes to politics.  We'll always come back and say "here, hold my beer"
>>> and do something more stupid.
>>>
>> Don't you mean: "Here hold my... Oh! my F'n nose" :P BTW You don't give
>> a Glaswegian your weapon. ;)
>
> Actually, for us, it usually involves fireworks or guns.  'Murica.

Guns are for crims or fearties. A weapon is whatever you can get your
hands on. Be it a pencil or a shoelace.

>>> The UK had Brexit, but we had a Trump card.
>>>
>> And you're welcome to it.
>
> Now what did I ever do to you? :P

You live in places that are hard to visit. :)

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

>> >She did that. She is no one's fool.
> I wish we had a leader like her.:)

I would say that she is more a Texan leader.

[Singing] "The Yellow Rose of Texas"

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

On Fri, 17 Mar 2017 16:33:13 +0000, Stephen wrote:

>> Never underestimate the power of people to ignore what's right in front
>> of their faces.
>
> I know. Most people only see what they want to see.

Yup. :)

>> What's more, we all are "stupid" about something -
>> sometime it's ignorance, or just missing something critical (I had a
>> student in a class years ago who, for one of the labs, misread the
>> instructions and used the examples in the book verbatim, rather than
>> using the example as a guide to create a configuration file.  He got
>> halfway through the lab before he started having problems, and had to
>> - catching him up without making him feel bad about such a mistake in
>> front of the class (he was sitting in the front row, as I recall).
>>

> Easily done and kudos to you. But the important thing is did he repeat
> his mistake?
> That is teaching?

He didn't repeat his mistake, but I think he felt badly about how much
he'd missed the mark by.  Fortunately, I kept a set of files that had
"the answer" in them so he was able to catch up easily, and he did see
what he'd done wrong, so he learned that way.

Making mistakes is a great way to learn, and I underscored with my class
as well as the people I've managed the past year (just changed teams, so
I'm going through this with the new team I'm managing) that when it comes
to mistakes, I've made a few.  (Not actually quoting a Queen song, but I
may as well be.)

>> Actually, for us, it usually involves fireworks or guns.  'Murica.
>>
> Guns are for crims or fearties. A weapon is whatever you can get your
> hands on. Be it a pencil or a shoelace.

Oh, yeah, but when it comes to doing stupid shit, 'Murica is great at
using those two things as ways of demonstrating that stupidity.

>>> And you're welcome to it.
>>
>> Now what did I ever do to you? :P
>>
> You live in places that are hard to visit. :)

Pffft.  You need to come out to our island sometime and check it out.
Preferably *after* they've finished the reconstruction work in our
bathroom. :/

A couple weeks ago (and keep in mind, that construction on our apartment
building wrapped up last April - so it's less than a year old), the on-
site property management folks stopped by to let us know they thought
there might be a problem with one of our bathrooms - there was water
leaking into the garage, and it *seemed* to be coming from our unit,
right above where the water was coming through.

Week before last, towards the end of the week, we had no fewer than 7
contractors in our master bath at the same time, trying to figure out
where the water was coming from.  All pointing fingers at each other
(plumbers, folks who installed the shower pan, folks who installed the
other fixtures) - and they concluded that it had to be coming from the
shower - which made sense, because the wood had swelled up to the point
that the tiles and grout were cracking.

So, demolition early last week.  Glass shower cubicle removed, tile
pulled up, underlayment - and yep, the damn pan was installed
incorrectly, and it had flooded.  Wood absolutely *soaked* and rotting.
Oh, and mold - tons of mold.  Foam insulation completely soaked.

Mold abatement team came in on Friday to start prepping, and found that
the sopping wet insulation had leaked over into the next section of floor
- so the toilet comes out, along with the rest of the floor and subfloor.

A couple days ago, the main investor in the property - who is properly
pissed off about this (but they're all relieved it's *us* and not some of
the, shall we say, fussier residents) says that obviously we can't stay
in the apartment, and that they'll pay for us to stay in a hotel.  The on-
site property management (a couple of great gals to work with) tell us
"find someplace nice to stay; the construction company is buying, because
they screwed up.  And let us know where, and we'll give you
recommendations on great places to eat in the area if we can.  Oh, and
next month's rent?  You're getting a discount, along with discounts on
water and electric because they're having to use lots of both to do this
work." I've got a buddy who plays blues, and they were doing a jam
tonight at a local brewery, so I asked him where a decent place to stay
was up near where they were playing.  I said "not the Ritz, but not Motel
6", and got a great recommendation.  The recommendations for local
restaurants were fantastic - locally farmed, locally grown food that was
some of the best we've had in a long time.

All on someone else's nickel. :)  Except for the beer and dinner tonight,
unless they insist - because we'd planned on going up there tonight
anyways.

While we're out, we get a call from the abatement guys.  More bad news -
the insulation is wet back under the cabinets, so they're going to have
to stop and get hold of the subcontractor who did the cabinet work and
have the cabinets removed sometime next week, and then the abatement guys
have to come back and finish the job.

And, of course, I work from home - and as mentioned earlier, I moved to
manage a different department (our customer/partner training team - 3
people right now, but we're going to grow it - I'm really excited about
the new role) - one of my first tasks was to create training for, shall
we say, a very large local software company whom we're partnering with on
some stuff - to be delivered this coming Monday.  So demolition work is
going on while I'm on the call with them earlier this week.

Next Saturday, we have two concerts in Seattle on Saturday; PDQ Bach
(Peter Schickele) in the afternoon, and then the Seattle Symphony
performing Beethoven's 5th Symphony that evening.  (That is actually a
very funny coincidence; Schickele did a recording back in 1990 called "On
the air", during which they have a performance of the first movement of
the 5th - complete with a sports-announcer-style commentary.  I really
wonder if they planned it, or if it was just happenstance.)

And on the 28th, it's our 20th wedding anniversary.  So, with the rent
discount (they haven't said how much, but knowing them, it'll be
significant), we're going to have a pretty nice 20th anniversary
celebration. :)

Which just goes to show that mold in the bathroom can be a "good"
thing. ;)

Jim

On Fri, 17 Mar 2017 16:37:00 +0000, Stephen wrote:

>> I wish we had a leader like her.:)
>>

> I would say that she is more a Texan leader.
>
> [Singing] "The Yellow Rose of Texas"

You haven't looked at Texas education standards, it seems; look at the
leaders we've had out of Texas; GWB, Rick Perry (our current Secretary of
Energy - a department that, as a candidate for POTUS, he said he was
going to eliminate. m-/)  I wouldn't say she's a Texan leader, she's
better than that. ;)

On 3/19/2017 5:48 AM, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Mar 2017 16:33:13 +0000, Stephen wrote:
>

> He didn't repeat his mistake, but I think he felt badly about how much
> he'd missed the mark by.  Fortunately, I kept a set of files that had
> "the answer" in them so he was able to catch up easily, and he did see
> what he'd done wrong, so he learned that way.
>
> Making mistakes is a great way to learn, and I underscored with my class
> as well as the people I've managed the past year (just changed teams, so
> I'm going through this with the new team I'm managing) that when it comes
> to mistakes, I've made a few.  (Not actually quoting a Queen song, but I
> may as well be.)

Was that not Frank Sinatra?

>>> Actually, for us, it usually involves fireworks or guns.  'Murica.
>>>
>> Guns are for crims or fearties. A weapon is whatever you can get your
>> hands on. Be it a pencil or a shoelace.
>
> Oh, yeah, but when it comes to doing stupid shit, 'Murica is great at
> using those two things as ways of demonstrating that stupidity.

I think there has been enough said on the subject.
Personally I can see no solution. Especially when there is a lot of
money to be made.

>>> Now what did I ever do to you? :P
>>>
>> You live in places that are hard to visit. :)
>
> Pffft.  You need to come out to our island sometime and check it out.
> Preferably *after* they've finished the reconstruction work in our
> bathroom. :/

I must admit that Hobbs NM is a bit off the beaten path. IIRC I would
have had to leave straight from work on the Friday, arrive about 7pm
Saturday and start the return journey early Sunday morning. To get back
in time for work on Monday morning.

> A couple weeks ago (and keep in mind, that construction on our apartment

[Snip]

Ah! Lucky Jim.

A bit of a nightmare.

> A couple days ago, the main investor in the property - who is properly

[Snip]

> All on someone else's nickel. :)  Except for the beer and dinner tonight,
> unless they insist - because we'd planned on going up there tonight
> anyways.

That is decent treatment. Still inconvenient for you.

> While we're out, we get a call from the abatement guys.  More bad news -
> the insulation is wet back under the cabinets, so they're going to have
> to stop and get hold of the subcontractor who did the cabinet work and
> have the cabinets removed sometime next week, and then the abatement guys
> have to come back and finish the job.

"What new Hell is this?" ;)

> And, of course, I work from home - and as mentioned earlier, I moved to
> manage a different department (our customer/partner training team - 3
> people right now, but we're going to grow it - I'm really excited about
> the new role) - one of my first tasks was to create training for, shall
> we say, a very large local software company whom we're partnering with on
> some stuff - to be delivered this coming Monday.  So demolition work is
> going on while I'm on the call with them earlier this week.

Nice one. :)
Learning to cope with things going wrong is character forming. :)

> Next Saturday, we have two concerts in Seattle on Saturday; PDQ Bach
> (Peter Schickele)

I did not know he was still alive.
Speaking of which. I hear Chuck Berry has just died. :(

> in the afternoon, and then the Seattle Symphony
> performing Beethoven's 5th Symphony that evening.  (That is actually a
> very funny coincidence; Schickele did a recording back in 1990 called "On
> the air", during which they have a performance of the first movement of
> the 5th - complete with a sports-announcer-style commentary.  I really
> wonder if they planned it, or if it was just happenstance.)

I got my introduction to Classical music from someone who gave me a
running commentary of Beethoven's Emperor concerto. Not as a sports
announcer, though. :)

> And on the 28th, it's our 20th wedding anniversary.  So, with the rent
> discount (they haven't said how much, but knowing them, it'll be
> significant), we're going to have a pretty nice 20th anniversary
> celebration. :)

Congratulations!

> Which just goes to show that mold in the bathroom can be a "good"
> thing. ;)

Fleming thought that too. ;)

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

On 3/19/2017 5:49 AM, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Mar 2017 16:37:00 +0000, Stephen wrote:

>>> I wish we had a leader like her.:)
>>>

>> I would say that she is more a Texan leader.
>>
>> [Singing] "The Yellow Rose of Texas"
>
> You haven't looked at Texas education standards, it seems; look at the
> leaders we've had out of Texas; GWB, Rick Perry (our current Secretary of
> Energy - a department that, as a candidate for POTUS, he said he was
> going to eliminate. m-/)  I wouldn't say she's a Texan leader, she's
> better than that. ;)

You have education in the southern states?

But I was talking about the independence thing. :)

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 19 Mar 2017 17:56:40
Message: <58cefe98$1@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 19 Mar 2017 08:55:59 +0000, Stephen wrote:

> On 3/19/2017 5:48 AM, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> On Fri, 17 Mar 2017 16:33:13 +0000, Stephen wrote:
>>

>> He didn't repeat his mistake, but I think he felt badly about how much
>> he'd missed the mark by.  Fortunately, I kept a set of files that had
>> "the answer" in them so he was able to catch up easily, and he did see
>> what he'd done wrong, so he learned that way.
>>
>> Making mistakes is a great way to learn, and I underscored with my
>> class as well as the people I've managed the past year (just changed
>> teams, so I'm going through this with the new team I'm managing) that
>> when it comes to mistakes, I've made a few.  (Not actually quoting a
>> Queen song, but I may as well be.)
>>

> Was that not Frank Sinatra?

Maybe, but Queen's "We are the Champions" is what was going through my
mind when I wrote that.

>>> Guns are for crims or fearties. A weapon is whatever you can get your
>>> hands on. Be it a pencil or a shoelace.
>>
>> Oh, yeah, but when it comes to doing stupid shit, 'Murica is great at
>> using those two things as ways of demonstrating that stupidity.
>>

> I think there has been enough said on the subject.
> Personally I can see no solution. Especially when there is a lot of
> money to be made.

Yep, that certainly is a big part of the problem.

>>> You live in places that are hard to visit. :)
>>
>> Pffft.  You need to come out to our island sometime and check it out.
>> Preferably *after* they've finished the reconstruction work in our
>> bathroom. :/
>>
> I must admit that Hobbs NM is a bit off the beaten path. IIRC I would
> have had to leave straight from work on the Friday, arrive about 7pm
> Saturday and start the return journey early Sunday morning. To get back
> in time for work on Monday morning.

Well, true - and now I'm a little further away from where I was at the
time.  :)

>> A couple weeks ago (and keep in mind, that construction on our
>> apartment
>
> [Snip]
>
> Ah! Lucky Jim.
>
> A bit of a nightmare.

Just a touch.

>> All on someone else's nickel. :)  Except for the beer and dinner
>> tonight,
>> unless they insist - because we'd planned on going up there tonight
>> anyways.
>>

> That is decent treatment. Still inconvenient for you.

Yeah.  But they're handling it well - if we were still in Bellevue, as
much as the on-site staff liked us, I'm sure the company running the
property would've taken a very different approach.

> "What new Hell is this?" ;)

s/new/fresh/ - but yeah. :)

>> And, of course, I work from home - and as mentioned earlier, I moved to
>> manage a different department (our customer/partner training team - 3
>> people right now, but we're going to grow it - I'm really excited about
>> the new role) - one of my first tasks was to create training for, shall
>> we say, a very large local software company whom we're partnering with
>> on some stuff - to be delivered this coming Monday.  So demolition work
>> is going on while I'm on the call with them earlier this week.
>>

> Nice one. :)
> Learning to cope with things going wrong is character forming. :)

Well, I've got character in spades.  I like my quiet. If next week looks
like it's going to be another noisy week, I'm going to probably check out
the offsite office desk rental company (they're just a couple buildings
down).  Just I spend a fair amount of time in video calls, and I'm not
sure how well that works in their environment.

I should talk to my neighbor - he uses them, and I know he manages a
company from there, with remote employees all over the US.  So it must
work OK.

>> Next Saturday, we have two concerts in Seattle on Saturday; PDQ Bach
>> (Peter Schickele)
>
> I did not know he was still alive.

Yep, he's still hanging in there.

> Speaking of which. I hear Chuck Berry has just died. :(

I heard that as well. :(

> I got my introduction to Classical music from someone who gave me a
> running commentary of Beethoven's Emperor concerto. Not as a sports
> announcer, though. :)

That could've been fun. :)

>> And on the 28th, it's our 20th wedding anniversary.  So, with the rent
>> discount (they haven't said how much, but knowing them, it'll be
>> significant), we're going to have a pretty nice 20th anniversary
>> celebration. :)
>>

> Congratulations!

Thanks!

>> Which just goes to show that mold in the bathroom can be a "good"
>> thing. ;)
>>

> Fleming thought that too. ;)

LOL

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 19 Mar 2017 17:57:47
Message: <58cefedb$1@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 19 Mar 2017 08:58:33 +0000, Stephen wrote:

> On 3/19/2017 5:49 AM, Jim Henderson wrote:

>>> I would say that she is more a Texan leader.
>>>
>>> [Singing] "The Yellow Rose of Texas"
>>
>> You haven't looked at Texas education standards, it seems; look at the
>> leaders we've had out of Texas; GWB, Rick Perry (our current Secretary
>> of Energy - a department that, as a candidate for POTUS, he said he was
>> going to eliminate. m-/)  I wouldn't say she's a Texan leader, she's
>> better than that. ;)
>>

> You have education in the southern states?

Sadly, yes, but it's not that good - and Texas is big enough that the
publishers for textbooks tend to go with Texas' standards nationwide
rather than produce different books for different states.

> But I was talking about the independence thing. :)

Yeah, I figured. :)

Jim

From: Stephen
Date: 20 Mar 2017 05:07:35
Message: <58cf9bd7$1@news.povray.org>
On 3/19/2017 9:57 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> >You have education in the southern states?
> Sadly, yes, but it's not that good - and Texas is big enough that the
> publishers for textbooks tend to go with Texas' standards nationwide
> rather than produce different books for different states.

I heard that when the "evolution Vs creation" debate was ongoing.

>> >But I was talking about the independence thing.:)
> Yeah, I figured.:)

She would make a good redneck with her complexion. ;)

--

Regards
     Stephen