POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Why do I use PovRay? Server Time
1 Jun 2024 22:55:57 EDT (-0400)
  Why do I use PovRay? (Message 1 to 10 of 11)
From: Stephen
Subject: Why do I use PovRay?
Date: 4 Mar 2017 04:19:20
Message: <58ba8698$1@news.povray.org>
I keep asking myself that question.
I could not code my way out of a wet paper bag. I remember Warp giving
up trying to explain that using GOTO is a bad idea. I am sure he was
right but…
Photorealism: maybe but I am not very good with textures and I am more
interested in animations than still images. The render times would be
horrendous. So that is out.
Visualising data: Yes but Excel is quick and good and you only need to
use functions mostly. Not programming.
Looking at other people’s work: Definitely, at least I have an
appreciation of what lies behind the making of them.

So what brought this on? Drugs actually, I woke up early at 4 am and as
I am going into town today. To stop falling asleep I took one of my
remaining Modafinil tablets that I was prescribed for jet lag, a few
years ago. It is known as a “smart drug” a cognitive enhancer. I would
never use it for that if I were studying. I find it too easy to get
distracted. I was watching a video on very large numbers when it went on
to TREE(3). So I googled it and spent an hour following the links within
links in Wikipedia so I could try and understand what was being talked
about.
Since we seem to have lost our mascot I thought I would stand in for
Andrew, for a while.

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

> Since we seem to have lost our mascot I thought I would stand in for
> Andrew, for a while.

I don't think it's just Andrew we've lost... This place is like a ghost
town now, sadly.

Post a reply to this message

> So what brought this on? Drugs actually, I woke up early at 4 am and as
> I am going into town today. To stop falling asleep I took one of my
> remaining Modafinil tablets that I was prescribed for jet lag, a few
> years ago. It is known as a “smart drug” a cognitive enhancer. I would
> never use it for that if I were studying. I find it too easy to get
> distracted. I was watching a video on very large numbers when it went on
> to TREE(3). So I googled it and spent an hour following the links within
> links in Wikipedia so I could try and understand what was being talked
> about.

If you have some math background, I really like this paper describing
some of the set theory proofs behind the TREE function:
http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~jean/kruskal.pdf

Post a reply to this message