POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Why do I use PovRay? : Re: Why do I use PovRay? Server Time
20 Jun 2024 08:05:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why do I use PovRay?
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 8 Mar 2017 13:32:19
Message: <58c04e33$1@news.povray.org>
On 07/03/2017 07:08 PM, Stephen wrote:
> On 3/7/2017 6:07 PM, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:
>> I don't think it's just Andrew we've lost... This place is like a ghost
>> town now, sadly.
>
> You're not kidding. Remember that PovCon in London?
> Well thee and me are the only ones left. :-(

I guess POV-Ray is pretty much a dying technology at this point. I have
no idea what the cool kids are using these days; probably some
GPU-accelerated polygon renderer with global light transport.

It's a shame there isn't something modern that has a scene description
language like the SDL. But then again, if you actually have the talent
to model stuff, what do you need SDL for?

(I guess it's a bit like how nobody uses MetaFont. For all its technical
excellence, the kind of people who have the graphic design skills to
design typefaces don't want to be programmers; they want to be graphic
designers!)