POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Why do I use PovRay? : Re: Why do I use PovRay? Server Time
20 Jun 2024 08:05:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why do I use PovRay?
From: scott
Date: 9 Mar 2017 04:57:56
Message: <58c12724$1@news.povray.org>
> I guess POV-Ray is pretty much a dying technology at this point. I have
> no idea what the cool kids are using these days; probably some
> GPU-accelerated polygon renderer with global light transport.

I used to use POV a lot for rendering CAD models that I had generated
elsewhere. Now we bought software called "KeyShot" at work, the ease and
speed that you can create photorealistic renders and animations is
insane. I can create a 2 minute animation of various parts going
together in an assembly in the same time it would take me to get a still
image set up (camera angles, materials, lighting etc) in POV.

> It's a shame there isn't something modern that has a scene description
> language like the SDL. But then again, if you actually have the talent
> to model stuff, what do you need SDL for?

And if you have the talent to program, why use SDL? Recently I've been
writing a C#/OpenGL Mandelbulb animation renderer. It runs about 30 fps
(which lets you fly around in realtime to setup the image), but I
average 100 frames together and write that out for high quality
anti-aliased and focal-blurred frames. Eventually I want to come up with
some method of recording the path you fly through with the mouse
control, then do some processing on the path (eg to smooth it out and
add correct focal distance) and then use that path to record frames for
a high quality animation. All with approx 0% CPU usage, so I could be
running POV at the same time :-)