POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Euclidean infinite detail Server Time
26 Jun 2024 03:32:32 EDT (-0400)
  Euclidean infinite detail (Message 1 to 10 of 24)
From: scott
Subject: Euclidean infinite detail
Date: 27 Oct 2016 04:58:54
Message: <5811c1ce$1@news.povray.org>
So do you remember Euclidean and their "infinite detail" engine? If not
there are plenty of videos on YouTube like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00gAbgBu8R4

Anyway, it seems they recently released a few more videos and in one of
the comments I found a link to their patent:

http://tinyurl.com/eucli

It's quite interesting actually. They store their point cloud in an
oct-tree structure and walk down the tree until you get to a single
point in the data or a single pixel on the screen. But, the clever bit
is that once they've done the perspective transform on an oct-tree node,
they look at the "w" coordinate and use that to decide if an
orthographic projection would be less than 1 pixel different from a full
perspective projection. If yes, then all the child nodes'
screen-positions can be computed very fast by just taking mid-points of
the parent's 2D coordinates, rather than doing full perspective
projections.

Still their claim of "unlimited detail" is misleading, but you can see
how with the above system it would be straightforward to
page-in/download nodes as you move around the scene. And with oct-trees,
you only need a few levels to get huge numbers of points, eg 10 deep
gets you a billion points.

Post a reply to this message

> So do you remember Euclidean and their "infinite detail" engine? If not
> there are plenty of videos on YouTube like this one:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00gAbgBu8R4
>
> Anyway, it seems they recently released a few more videos and in one of
> the comments I found a link to their patent:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/eucli
>
> It's quite interesting actually. They store their point cloud in an
> oct-tree structure and walk down the tree until you get to a single
> point in the data or a single pixel on the screen. But, the clever bit
> is that once they've done the perspective transform on an oct-tree node,
> they look at the "w" coordinate and use that to decide if an
> orthographic projection would be less than 1 pixel different from a full
> perspective projection. If yes, then all the child nodes'
> screen-positions can be computed very fast by just taking mid-points of
> the parent's 2D coordinates, rather than doing full perspective
> projections.
>
> Still their claim of "unlimited detail" is misleading, but you can see
> how with the above system it would be straightforward to
> page-in/download nodes as you move around the scene. And with oct-trees,
> you only need a few levels to get huge numbers of points, eg 10 deep
> gets you a billion points.

Does hardware acceleration work with this stuff?

Post a reply to this message

> So do you remember Euclidean and their "infinite detail" engine? If not
> there are plenty of videos on YouTube like this one:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00gAbgBu8R4
>
> Anyway, it seems they recently released a few more videos and in one of
> the comments I found a link to their patent:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/eucli
>
> It's quite interesting actually. They store their point cloud in an
> oct-tree structure and walk down the tree until you get to a single
> point in the data or a single pixel on the screen. But, the clever bit
> is that once they've done the perspective transform on an oct-tree node,
> they look at the "w" coordinate and use that to decide if an
> orthographic projection would be less than 1 pixel different from a full
> perspective projection. If yes, then all the child nodes'
> screen-positions can be computed very fast by just taking mid-points of
> the parent's 2D coordinates, rather than doing full perspective
> projections.
>
> Still their claim of "unlimited detail" is misleading, but you can see
> how with the above system it would be straightforward to
> page-in/download nodes as you move around the scene. And with oct-trees,
> you only need a few levels to get huge numbers of points, eg 10 deep
> gets you a billion points.

Also, maybe POV-Ray should support point clouds.

Post a reply to this message