POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A Matter of Political Incorrectness Server Time
2 Jul 2024 23:38:40 EDT (-0400)
  A Matter of Political Incorrectness (Message 11 to 20 of 82)
From: Francois Labreque
Subject: Re: A Matter of Political Incorrectness
Date: 22 Feb 2016 14:30:12
Message: <56cb61c4$1@news.povray.org>
Le 2016-02-22 05:12, Stephen a écrit :
> On 2/22/2016 6:21 AM, Jim Henderson wrote:

>>> <grin>
>>
>> That's what I was going to do - finish the gin this weekend.  I *knew* I
>> was forgetting something.
>>

> You forgot an imperative? Tsk! Tsk! :)

>>> Something similar in New Mexico. Had to go to Walgreens for spirits and
>>> Walmart for beer.
>>
>> That seems .... random.
>>

> How about this TL episode?
> I was at the checkout in Walmart and two of my colleagues at another,
> buying drink for the barby. Robert had forgotten his ID so Bobby (yes
> true names) said that he had his and would buy it. (A smart move by
> Robert.)
> "No you won't" said the cashier.
> "If I sell it to you. You will give it to him and he does not have an
> ID. I can't sell it you you."
>
> Meanwhile I am trying not to wet myself. :)
> Too bad there were only two stooges there.
> I did not want to become the third one.

It happened to a couple of friends (a long time ago).  They were camping
in Maine, he was 20 and she was 21.  While grocery shopping, my (male)
friend picked up a 6-pack of beer, and put it on the counter.  The
cashier asked him for his ID.  When his girl friend produced her ID, the
cashier said that although she appreciated the courteous gesture, she
couldn't sell it to them since he had put it on the counter.  They had
to leave the beer there.

The girl walked back in the store by herself and proceeded to buy the
6-pack of beer without any prolbems.

On Mon, 22 Feb 2016 10:12:57 +0000, Stephen wrote:

>> That's what I was going to do - finish the gin this weekend.  I *knew*
>> I was forgetting something.
>>

> You forgot an imperative? Tsk! Tsk! :)

Well, I don't forget imperatives when I'm writing tasks, since that's
what our style guide dictates. :)

>>> Something similar in New Mexico. Had to go to Walgreens for spirits
>>> and Walmart for beer.
>>
>> That seems .... random.
>>
> How about this TL episode?
> I was at the checkout in Walmart and two of my colleagues at another,
> buying drink for the barby. Robert had forgotten his ID so Bobby (yes
> true names) said that he had his and would buy it. (A smart move by
> Robert.)
> "No you won't" said the cashier.
> "If I sell it to you. You will give it to him and he does not have an
> ID. I can't sell it you you."

Yeah, that does happen.  The easy solution is the group leaves, then one
comes back in later.  It's a liability thing for the store.  In some
places, they're required to card everyone, but I think it gets a little
foggy if you're buying and you've brought your 6-year-old kid in the
store, too.

> Meanwhile I am trying not to wet myself. :)
> Too bad there were only two stooges there.
> I did not want to become the third one.

LOL

Jim

On 2/22/2016 9:07 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Feb 2016 10:12:57 +0000, Stephen wrote:
>
>>> That's what I was going to do - finish the gin this weekend.  I *knew*
>>> I was forgetting something.
>>>

>> You forgot an imperative? Tsk! Tsk! :)
>
> Well, I don't forget imperatives when I'm writing tasks, since that's
> what our style guide dictates. :)

Good thing too. Mustn't let the House Style down, old boy. ;-)

> Yeah, that does happen.  The easy solution is the group leaves, then one
> comes back in later.  It's a liability thing for the store.  In some
> places, they're required to card everyone, but I think it gets a little
> foggy if you're buying and you've brought your 6-year-old kid in the
> store, too.

I wore the front cover of my passport, clean. Carrying it around in the
heat. Not that I would be buying alcohol every day.
It seems strange to need to carry ID all the time.

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

On Wed, 24 Feb 2016 09:09:46 +0000, Stephen wrote:

>>> You forgot an imperative? Tsk! Tsk! :)
>>
>> Well, I don't forget imperatives when I'm writing tasks, since that's
>> what our style guide dictates. :)
>>

> Good thing too. Mustn't let the House Style down, old boy. ;-)

Absolutely.  Gerunds sound too samey when looking at a list of titles.

>> Yeah, that does happen.  The easy solution is the group leaves, then
>> one comes back in later.  It's a liability thing for the store.  In
>> some places, they're required to card everyone, but I think it gets a
>> little foggy if you're buying and you've brought your 6-year-old kid in
>> the store, too.
>>

> I wore the front cover of my passport, clean. Carrying it around in the
> heat. Not that I would be buying alcohol every day.
> It seems strange to need to carry ID all the time.

In Utah, I remember there being an issue with someone from outside the US
(maybe it was someone from the UK) trying to buy alcohol with their
regular ID - which didn't include a photo.  Utah requires (or at least
required at one time) a photo ID for purchase.

Jim