POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : 1+2+3+4+... = ? Server Time
5 Jul 2024 08:33:37 EDT (-0400)
  1+2+3+4+... = ? (Message 1 to 10 of 36)
From: scott
Subject: 1+2+3+4+... = ?
Date: 27 Jul 2015 05:19:39
Message: <55b5f7ab$1@news.povray.org>
Maybe I'm a bit late to the party here, probably because I'm an Engineer
rather than a Mathematician, but this seemed a pretty crazy "proof" of
what you get if you sum all the natural numbers up:

  s= 1+2+3+4+5+6+...

4s= 4+8+12+16+...

(s-4s) = 1+2+3+4+5+ 6+...
           -4  -8  -12-...
-3s    = 1-2+3-4+5-6+...

-3s-3s = 1-2+3-4+5-6+...
           +1-2+3-4+5-6+...
-6s    = 1-1+1-1+1-1+1-...

1-(-6s)= 1-(1-1+1-1+1-1+1-...)
        = 1-1+1-1+1-1+1-...
        = -6s
1+6s   = -6s
12s    = -1

    s   = -1/12

Crazy huh?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1_%2B_2_%2B_3_%2B_4_%2B_%E2%8B%AF

Post a reply to this message

> Maybe I'm a bit late to the party here, probably because I'm an Engineer
> rather than a Mathematician, but this seemed a pretty crazy "proof" of
> what you get if you sum all the natural numbers up:
>
>   s= 1+2+3+4+5+6+...

Nah, s does *NOT* converge, insisting that s exists get you what you
deserve: bullshit (unless you are interested in classification of
divergent series).

Same as asking the maximal value of a Dirac function... lovely object of
theory, no practical existence.