POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : 1+2+3+4+... = ? : Re: 1+2+3+4+... = ? Server Time
8 Jul 2024 07:34:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 1+2+3+4+... = ?
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 27 Jul 2015 13:54:45
Message: <55b67065$1@news.povray.org>
On 27/07/2015 10:19 AM, scott wrote:
> s= 1+2+3+4+5+6+...
>
> s = -1/12
>
> Crazy huh?

If you think that's mad, watch this:

   10 + 4 = 2

   2 / 5 = 10

Wait, whaaat?!

Well now, let's try that again. If the time is currently 10 PM, then
what time will it be in 4 hours' time? Hint: not 14 PM.

In "normal" arithmetic, claiming that 10 + 4 = 2 is just flat wrong. But
change your definitions (say, to agree that after counting past 12 we go
back to 1 again), and suddenly this makes a whole lot of sense, and is
"useful" in that billions of people do this exact type of calculation
all over the world every single day. It doesn't get much more
"practical" than that.

To convince yourself that 2 / 5 = 10, start at 12 o'clock, and keep
adding on 5 hours until you land on 2 o'clock. I promise you, it takes
10 steps to do this. Hence, 5 * 10 = 2, and therefore surely 2 / 5 = 10.

This latter type of shenanigans is mostly used in cryptography and
number theory, but does also pop up in places like error-correcting
codes. (If you've ever tried to scan a bar code or play a CD, you care
about error-correcting codes.)