POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : 1+2+3+4+... = ? : Re: 1+2+3+4+... = ? Server Time
8 Jul 2024 07:57:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 1+2+3+4+... = ?
From: Leroy
Date: 27 Jul 2015 12:55:02
Message: <55b66266@news.povray.org>
> But according to the wikipedia page below the -1/12 thing does have some
> practical uses? I couldn't find any actual information about those
> practical uses though.
>
>>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1_%2B_2_%2B_3_%2B_4_%2B_%E2%8B%AF

Mathematicians are crazy! Practical uses to them means something
different. What? I don't know, I'm not a Mathematician. But I do love to
play with numbers!
This part

(s-4s) = 1+2+3+4+5+ 6+...
           -4  -8  -12-...
-3s    = 1-2+3-4+5-6+...

Makes me think: Infinity strikes again!
Even though 4s and s can be put in one to one correspondence to Infinity
In real life you have s=n(n+1)/2 and you choose the n.
So using the grouping as above there would always be some of the 4s left
over.

Infinity is tricky! That's my two cents.
Have Fun!