POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : 1+2+3+4+... = ? : Re: 1+2+3+4+... = ? Server Time
8 Jul 2024 07:43:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 1+2+3+4+... = ?
From: scott
Date: 27 Jul 2015 08:56:36
Message: <55b62a84@news.povray.org>
>>   s= 1+2+3+4+5+6+...
>>

> Nah, s does *NOT* converge, insisting that s exists get you what you
> deserve: bullshit (unless you are interested in classification of
> divergent series).

It does seem absurd, that the result comes out negative and less than
even the smallest term in the sequence. Saying that though the steps
seem logical enough (from a practical point of view rather than a
mathematical point of view) to come to the answer of -1/12.

> Same as asking the maximal value of a Dirac function... lovely object of
> theory, no practical existence.

I thought of that as a curve with area underneath equal to unity with no
width (so height has to be infinite).

But according to the wikipedia page below the -1/12 thing does have some
practical uses? I couldn't find any actual information about those
practical uses though.