POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : It's quiet Server Time
8 Jul 2024 07:37:48 EDT (-0400)
  It's quiet (Message 11 to 20 of 40)
From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: It's quiet
Date: 5 Jun 2015 03:20:58
Message: <55714dda$1@news.povray.org>
On 4-6-2015 21:40, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:
> On 04/06/2015 12:11 PM, Stephen wrote:
>> Andrew got a life?
>
> Hardly.
>
> For the past month, I've been tending my grandfather, who has suddenly
> been hospitalised. Last time I saw him, he was a regular guy. Now we
> can't speak, can't walk, can't move some of his limbs, can't do much of
> anything, really.

Sorry about that, Andrew. I understand how you are feeling. It comes as
a shock when loved ones are stricken down - apparently suddenly. We
generally turn a blind eye upon the possibility of harm or illness; we
do not want it to happen.

> It's rather frightening to think that some day soon, it will be me
> sitting in that hospital bed, knowing that the end is near, and that
> there's nothing that anybody can do about it. Damn, I've wasted my life!

Hopefully you still have a long life in front of you but it is wisdom to
realise that we are not eternal. In that sense, no life is wasted at all
and there is only the awareness and the (mild) regret that not
everything is possible (nor advisable). In the end, it is tending our
garden the best we can - and enjoying it of course. With the cumulation
of years, time speeds up indeed as suddenly you realise that only so
many years are left to you. It is a sobering thought but not necessarily
sad.

> The daft thing is... my grandfather himself seems to be the only person
> in the family who's *not* terribly upset about all this. For somebody
> who now can't do anything, he seems remarkably cheerful...

Yes, I am not really surprised. Take it as a comfort for you and you
will be able to tend him even better.

Take care.

--
Thomas