POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Blender3D now on Steam Server Time
6 Oct 2024 09:20:31 EDT (-0400)
  Blender3D now on Steam (Message 51 to 60 of 70)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Blender3D now on Steam
Date: 29 Apr 2015 18:34:41
Message: <55415c81$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 29 Apr 2015 22:57:22 +0100, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:

> On 29/04/2015 07:54 AM, scott wrote:
>> And if they were clever they would put something in the license of the
>> $10/month version that prevented the huge companies using it, thus
>> keeping the 10 people paying $1.2 million at the same time :-)
>
> Might I suggest that when you spend $1.2 million licensing the thing,
> you're probably also paying for consultation services and developer time
> to tweak the engine how you want it and optimise your game to run better
> than your competitor's games...

You might be, but then again, you might not be.  Lots of companies don't
include consultation services in licensing services - that's an
additional cost.

Jim

From: Stephen
Date: 30 Apr 2015 01:13:39
Message: <5541ba03$1@news.povray.org>
On 29/04/2015 23:34, Jim Henderson wrote:
> You might be, but then again, you might not be.  Lots of companies don't
> include consultation services in licensing services - that's an
> additional cost.

Shhh! ;-)

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: scott
Date: 30 Apr 2015 05:08:13
Message: <5541f0fd@news.povray.org>

>>> I would be surprised if they did, actually - in the long run, the
>>> monthly subscription would generally net them more than a perpetual
>>> license would.
>>
>> There's a lot of $10's in $1.2m :-)
>
> Yes, but that's the beauty of subscription pricing - it builds because
> you have recurring revenue.
>
> $120 per year per user.  Over the long haul, that can net you more than a
> perpetual license - and from a business standpoint, the revenue stream is
> more predictable, which makes the business more stable.

And there's still a lot of $120's in $1.2m. Even if a company has 100
developers all needing a license, that's 100 years until you get to
£1.2m in revenue. Which is why I would be surprised there is nothing in
the £10/month version that prevents large companies (who are
willing/able to pay $1.2m straight off) from using it.

> With a subscription - particularly in a SaaS environment - you always
> have your customers on the latest version -

Only if you force them to upgrade, I imagine many companies wouldn't be
too happy about that.

Post a reply to this message

On Thu, 30 Apr 2015 10:08:11 +0100, scott wrote:

>>> There's a lot of $10's in $1.2m :-)
>>
>> Yes, but that's the beauty of subscription pricing - it builds because
>> you have recurring revenue.
>>
>> $120 per year per user.  Over the long haul, that can net you more than
>> a perpetual license - and from a business standpoint, the revenue
>> stream is more predictable, which makes the business more stable.
>
> And there's still a lot of $120's in $1.2m. Even if a company has 100
> developers all needing a license, that's 100 years until you get to
> £1.2m in revenue. Which is why I would be surprised there is nothing in
> the £10/month version that prevents large companies (who are
> willing/able to pay $1.2m straight off) from using it.

Of course I *can* do the math on this.  I work for a software company
that recently did the math and made the change from perpetual to
subscription.

>> With a subscription - particularly in a SaaS environment - you always
>> have your customers on the latest version -
>
> Only if you force them to upgrade, I imagine many companies wouldn't be
> too happy about that.

A lot of SaaS implementations use a continuous release process, which
means that you are (by definition) always on the latest version.

Jim

On Thu, 30 Apr 2015 06:13:32 +0100, Stephen wrote:

> On 29/04/2015 23:34, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> You might be, but then again, you might not be.  Lots of companies
>> don't include consultation services in licensing services - that's an
>> additional cost.
>

> Shhh! ;-)

;)

On Thu, 30 Apr 2015 10:08:11 +0100, scott wrote:

> And there's still a lot of $120's in $1.2m. Even if a company has 100
> developers all needing a license, that's 100 years until you get to
> £1.2m in revenue. Which is why I would be surprised there is nothing in
> the £10/month version that prevents large companies (who are
> willing/able to pay $1.2m straight off) from using it.

You also have to consider the addition of all the companies that would
never pay $1.2 million but are willing to pay for 100 licenses at $10/
month per developer.

I'm sure CryTek did the math.

Jim