POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Blender3D now on Steam : Re: Blender3D now on Steam Server Time
6 Oct 2024 08:24:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Blender3D now on Steam
From: scott
Date: 30 Apr 2015 05:08:13
Message: <5541f0fd@news.povray.org>

>>> I would be surprised if they did, actually - in the long run, the
>>> monthly subscription would generally net them more than a perpetual
>>> license would.
>>
>> There's a lot of $10's in $1.2m :-)
>
> Yes, but that's the beauty of subscription pricing - it builds because
> you have recurring revenue.
>
> $120 per year per user.  Over the long haul, that can net you more than a
> perpetual license - and from a business standpoint, the revenue stream is
> more predictable, which makes the business more stable.

And there's still a lot of $120's in $1.2m. Even if a company has 100
developers all needing a license, that's 100 years until you get to
£1.2m in revenue. Which is why I would be surprised there is nothing in
the £10/month version that prevents large companies (who are
willing/able to pay $1.2m straight off) from using it.

> With a subscription - particularly in a SaaS environment - you always
> have your customers on the latest version -

Only if you force them to upgrade, I imagine many companies wouldn't be
too happy about that.