POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Fired fox Server Time
6 Oct 2024 12:25:42 EDT (-0400)
  Fired fox (Message 21 to 30 of 34)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 4 Messages >>>
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Fired fox
Date: 19 Mar 2015 13:05:24
Message: <550b01d4$1@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 19 Mar 2015 13:00:42 -0400, James Holsenback wrote:

> Yeah it's there you just got to dig a bit ... snipped most of what Jim
> said because I agree and I just wanted to add that Andrew kind of
> reminds me of Sheldon ;-)

LOL

From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 19 Mar 2015 14:08:52
Message: <550b10b4$1@news.povray.org>
On 19/03/2015 10:41 AM, Stephen wrote:
> On 19/03/2015 08:03, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:
>> ... I suspect it's not just me.
>
> I'm with you. When you find a better browser. Let us know.

*shrugs* Opera seems minimally usable after you spend three days
configuring it... It's not *great*, but it works.

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 19 Mar 2015 14:38:52
Message: <550b17bc$1@news.povray.org>
>> Given how excruciatingly hard it is to get access to the OpenSUSE bug
>> tracker... no, I haven't.
>
> 1. Create user ID
> 2. Validate your e-mail address
> 3. Go to bugzilla.opensuse.org and enter a bug
>
> Not terribly difficult, really.

Except that you have to give them your *real* name, who you work for,
your annual income, your mother's maiden name, and your inside leg
measurement. No, not hard at all.

>> Besides, they'll just report it upstream and then go back to doing
>> nothing. That's what they did with the Zypper bug I spent ages
>> diagnosing and reporting.
>
> You don't know that unless you file a bug.

Given that the bug is almost 100% certain to be a GNOME bug, they will
just pass it to the GNOME team and then do nothing.

> File a bug, or don't
> complain.  Seriously, that is probably the most annoying thing you can do
> is bitch about something that's fixable and not report a bug.

Well, maybe they shouldn't actively dissuade people from filing bugs by
making it so sodding hard to file a bug? :-P

You know what's *really* annoying? Seeing an open bug for THE EXACT
PROBLEM that our production application has, seeing that upstream has
fixed it, and yet OpenSUSE refuses to release an RPM for it. *That* is
annoying! (We're talking about a different bug now. The ticket has been
open for many months. The fix is literally to build a new RPM. Yet it
isn't happening...)

>> Perhaps it was the "show task list" option then. I remember spending
>> weeks trying to configure the shell the way we want it, and in the end I
>> couldn't do it.
>
> Not sure what you mean by "show task list option".  What was the specific
> thing you were trying to do?

The option to have an icon for each window that's open, so you can
instantly switch between windows (or just tell when a hidden window
closes itself). You know, like the Windows taskbar.

GNOME 2 had it, and there's a dozen different mutually-incompatible
extensions to add it back to GNOME 3. Because it's a basic feature that
should have been in the shell to begin with. But hey, it's a tablet. Who
runs multiple applications on a tablet?

>> I'm not saying it doesn't *work*. I'm saying it's clearly not optimal.
>
> It's optimal for me, and I don't use a tablet.  "Optimal" is clearly a
> matter of personal taste, and I wish people would stop putting forth
> their personal opinion as cold hard fact - it's not.

Well, I don't know man. Version 2 of a product has a heap of features
which are gone in version 3. To be, that means that version 3
*objectively* has fewer features. I didn't think there's much to argue
about that...

>> How you write a minimal Hello World type thing is documented. The vast,
>> sprawling mass of code you need to interact with to do anything
>> nontrivial is utterly undocumented.
>
> Since I don't write extensions, it's kinda pointless for you to
> continue.  However, again, given your track record, I'm not going to take
> it on faith that your assertion that these things aren't documented is
> true.  You'll have to forgive me my cynicism on that point.

Sure, I can understand that.

>>> No.  What you do is you identify what it is you want to do, and you
>>> find that part of the code, if that's the way it's actually done (I
>>> don't for a moment pretend to have written an extension, however given
>>> your track record in overstating things, you don't really think I'm
>>> going to take your word for it, do you? ;) )
>>
>> You realise I got *paid money* to write several shell extensions and
>> modify some existing ones, right?
>
> You realise that that's no guarantee that anyone's an expert at a task,
> right? I know lots of people who get paid to do things who don't take the
> optimal route to doing them.

Your point is valid. My point is that I'm not talking about "oh hey, I
tried to do this thing, but it was a bit hard so I gave up after five
minutes". This is something I spent MULTIPLE MONTHS trying to solve.

> How many questions did you ask on, oh, I don't know, the GNOME mailing
> lists?

Yes, because I *want* to sign up to yet *another* mailing list just to
get basic developer information that should already be written down
somewhere. :-P

In seriousness: I asked on Stack Overflow. The question was upvoted
several times, and many other people lamented the utter lack of any
documentation. But nobody actually answered the question. Which is what
happens when nobody knows the answer!

>> (How THE HELL these other people wrote this stuff utterly baffles me...
>> I guess one or two people might have too much free time, but given the
>> vast number of extensions available [most of which add back
>> functionality that GNOME 2 had built-in], it screams that somebody
>> somewhere must have some real documentation...)
>
> Bingo!  Just because you didn't happen to look in the right place doesn't
> mean that the documentation doesn't exist.

As I said, I find it really baffling. The extensions I've looked at
aren't exactly trivial or simple. And yet, I can't find any
documentation, and nobody I asked about it can find any either. Not even
so much as a blog entry or an auto-generated object list...

>> In an OO language, you don't generally modify a huge, complex framework
>> by deleting code from the running system and replacing it with your own.
>
> Of course not.
>
>> Then again, JavaScript isn't completely OO, so...
>
> And "deleting code from the running system" isn't the same as extending
> it.

 From what I've seen, you write extensions by deleting existing objects
and replacing them with new ones. (Or maybe just replacing a method or
two.) You'd think it works by creating a new object that exposes a
defined set of operations, and passing that to the framework. But no, it
seems you just put your hands in the framework, rip out the bits you
don't want, and then replace them.

And then watch it all break horrifyingly in the next minor-release of
the shell. >_<

Still, IMHO, I think most of this brokenness goes back to "we decided to
build a huge, complex application in a scripting language". All problems
flow from there.

Post a reply to this message

On Thu, 19 Mar 2015 18:38:59 +0000, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:

>>> Given how excruciatingly hard it is to get access to the OpenSUSE bug
>>> tracker... no, I haven't.
>>
>> 1. Create user ID 2. Validate your e-mail address 3. Go to
>> bugzilla.opensuse.org and enter a bug
>>
>> Not terribly difficult, really.
>
> Except that you have to give them your *real* name, who you work for,
> your annual income, your mother's maiden name, and your inside leg
> measurement. No, not hard at all.

No, you actually don't.  They ask, but (a) you don't need to fill in all
the fields, and (b) even if you DO have to fill in all the fields, you
don't need to provide real information.

So no, it actually *isn't* that difficult.  Remember that you're talking
with one of the admins of the openSUSE forums, so I'm not just some yahoo
out there who doesn't have a clue what he's talking about when it comes
to this.

> Given that the bug is almost 100% certain to be a GNOME bug, they will
> just pass it to the GNOME team and then do nothing.

Well, fine, then Andy, screw it and report the bug upstream then, if
you're so damned sure of yourself.  Again, that's not terribly difficult.

>> File a bug, or don't complain.  Seriously, that is probably the most
>> annoying thing you can do is bitch about something that's fixable and
>> not report a bug.
>
> Well, maybe they shouldn't actively dissuade people from filing bugs by
> making it so sodding hard to file a bug? :-P

It *isn't* hard.  I've filed many bugs over the years, and it isn't the
oh-so-difficult process you seem to think it is - based on exactly ZERO
experience doing so.

> You know what's *really* annoying? Seeing an open bug for THE EXACT
> PROBLEM that our production application has, seeing that upstream has
> fixed it, and yet OpenSUSE refuses to release an RPM for it. *That* is
> annoying! (We're talking about a different bug now. The ticket has been
> open for many months. The fix is literally to build a new RPM. Yet it
> isn't happening...)

Example?  Because for that bug, I'd like to nudge someone, or at least
find out why.

>>> Perhaps it was the "show task list" option then. I remember spending
>>> weeks trying to configure the shell the way we want it, and in the end
>>> I couldn't do it.
>>
>> Not sure what you mean by "show task list option".  What was the
>> specific thing you were trying to do?
>
> The option to have an icon for each window that's open, so you can
> instantly switch between windows (or just tell when a hidden window
> closes itself). You know, like the Windows taskbar.

Oh, like the dash-to-dock extension gives you.  Yeah, that extension is
one that I use, and it works great.

>>> I'm not saying it doesn't *work*. I'm saying it's clearly not optimal.
>>
>> It's optimal for me, and I don't use a tablet.  "Optimal" is clearly a
>> matter of personal taste, and I wish people would stop putting forth
>> their personal opinion as cold hard fact - it's not.
>
> Well, I don't know man. Version 2 of a product has a heap of features
> which are gone in version 3. To be, that means that version 3
> *objectively* has fewer features. I didn't think there's much to argue
> about that...

I used GNOME2, and I use GNOME3.  Both did the job I needed, so I don't
really care if there are "fewer features", because features I don't use
are unimportant to me.  Hence, personal preference.

>>> You realise I got *paid money* to write several shell extensions and
>>> modify some existing ones, right?
>>
>> You realise that that's no guarantee that anyone's an expert at a task,
>> right? I know lots of people who get paid to do things who don't take
>> the optimal route to doing them.
>
> Your point is valid. My point is that I'm not talking about "oh hey, I
> tried to do this thing, but it was a bit hard so I gave up after five
> minutes". This is something I spent MULTIPLE MONTHS trying to solve.

And did you ask for help?  Or did you spend months beating your head
against the wall in solitude and then declare it impossible?  Again, past
performance is my indicator here, so again, you'll have to forgive my
cynicism about your approach to solving what you see as an "impossible"
task.

>> How many questions did you ask on, oh, I don't know, the GNOME mailing
>> lists?
>
> Yes, because I *want* to sign up to yet *another* mailing list just to
> get basic developer information that should already be written down
> somewhere. :-P

So no, you didn't ask for help, yet you complain about not being able to
get help.  That's telling.

> In seriousness: I asked on Stack Overflow. The question was upvoted
> several times, and many other people lamented the utter lack of any
> documentation. But nobody actually answered the question. Which is what
> happens when nobody knows the answer!

One venue, where GNOME development isn't a primary discussion topic, does
not mean "nobody knows the answer".  Except in your world, it would seem.

>>> (How THE HELL these other people wrote this stuff utterly baffles
>>> me... I guess one or two people might have too much free time, but
>>> given the vast number of extensions available [most of which add back
>>> functionality that GNOME 2 had built-in], it screams that somebody
>>> somewhere must have some real documentation...)
>>
>> Bingo!  Just because you didn't happen to look in the right place
>> doesn't mean that the documentation doesn't exist.
>
> As I said, I find it really baffling. The extensions I've looked at
> aren't exactly trivial or simple. And yet, I can't find any
> documentation, and nobody I asked about it can find any either. Not even
> so much as a blog entry or an auto-generated object list...
>
>>> In an OO language, you don't generally modify a huge, complex
>>> framework by deleting code from the running system and replacing it
>>> with your own.
>>
>> Of course not.
>>
>>> Then again, JavaScript isn't completely OO, so...
>>
>> And "deleting code from the running system" isn't the same as extending
>> it.
>
>  From what I've seen, you write extensions by deleting existing objects
> and replacing them with new ones. (Or maybe just replacing a method or
> two.) You'd think it works by creating a new object that exposes a
> defined set of operations, and passing that to the framework. But no, it
> seems you just put your hands in the framework, rip out the bits you
> don't want, and then replace them.

Overriding is not the same as "ripping out the bits you don't want and
replacing them".  You should know that from your study of OOP methods.

> And then watch it all break horrifyingly in the next minor-release of
> the shell. >_<

If you refuse to find the right venue to ask for help, then you kinda get
what you deserve there.  I am not saying that it's a perfect environment
to develop in, but jesus, Andy, if you aren't going to ask people who
know what they're doing for help when you get stuck, what exactly do you
think people are going to think or say?

> Still, IMHO, I think most of this brokenness goes back to "we decided to
> build a huge, complex application in a scripting language". All problems
> flow from there.

Now there's something I might be able to get behind.

Jim

>> Well, maybe they shouldn't actively dissuade people from filing bugs by
>> making it so sodding hard to file a bug? :-P
>
> It *isn't* hard.  I've filed many bugs over the years, and it isn't the
> oh-so-difficult process you seem to think it is -

The account setup process seemed tortuously difficult to me. I spent a
full two weeks trying to work around the problem before I finally gave
up and tried to file a ticket.

> based on exactly ZERO experience doing so.

Zero experience?

Perhaps you're missing the part where I actually *did* all this to file
a bug (which, last I checked, is still open). Basically Zypper gives you
an incorrect error message - but apparently Zypper just tells you what
Curl tells it. So until Curl gets fixed...

>> You know what's *really* annoying? Seeing an open bug for THE EXACT
>> PROBLEM that our production application has, seeing that upstream has
>> fixed it, and yet OpenSUSE refuses to release an RPM for it. *That* is
>> annoying! (We're talking about a different bug now. The ticket has been
>> open for many months. The fix is literally to build a new RPM. Yet it
>> isn't happening...)
>
> Example?  Because for that bug, I'd like to nudge someone, or at least
> find out why.

In OpenSUSE 13.1, systemd hangs for 60 seconds on shutdown. It's waiting
for... I forget what it is now, but after 60 seconds it gives up and
shuts down anyway. It just means every time you want to shut your PC
down, you have to needlessly wait 60 seconds before it does it.

The bug is fixed in systemd 209 (?), but the latest official RPM from
OpenSUSE is 208, which doesn't contain the fix. (There was some talk
about the upstream "fix" being a bit of a kludge... I'm not sure exactly
how true that is. I just want the bug to go away.)

Somebody filed a ticket. Somebody else said "here, try this RPM and let
me know if that fixes it". The original poster never let anybody know if
it worked. Ticket is currently set to "waiting for information" or similar.

>>> Not sure what you mean by "show task list option".  What was the
>>> specific thing you were trying to do?
>>
>> The option to have an icon for each window that's open, so you can
>> instantly switch between windows (or just tell when a hidden window
>> closes itself). You know, like the Windows taskbar.
>
> Oh, like the dash-to-dock extension gives you.  Yeah, that extension is
> one that I use, and it works great.

I, too, eventually found an extension that could be configured to behave
in a suitable manner. It just annoyed me that this is some unsupported
3rd-party hack, rather than part of the basic functionality of the shell.

>> Well, I don't know man. Version 2 of a product has a heap of features
>> which are gone in version 3. To be, that means that version 3
>> *objectively* has fewer features. I didn't think there's much to argue
>> about that...
>
> I used GNOME2, and I use GNOME3.  Both did the job I needed, so I don't
> really care if there are "fewer features", because features I don't use
> are unimportant to me.  Hence, personal preference.

I would have thought "seeing what windows are open and moving windows
around" is a pretty core functionality to a window manager. But
apparently your mileage is different...

> So no, you didn't ask for help, yet you complain about not being able to
> get help.  That's telling.
>
>> In seriousness: I asked on Stack Overflow. The question was upvoted
>> several times, and many other people lamented the utter lack of any
>> documentation. But nobody actually answered the question. Which is what
>> happens when nobody knows the answer!
>
> One venue, where GNOME development isn't a primary discussion topic, does
> not mean "nobody knows the answer".  Except in your world, it would seem.

Stack Overflow is only the single largest place to get help about any
programming problem you might have. If not one single person who
happened upon a GNOME question explicitly flagged with the GNOME tag
knows how to do a thing, it can't be that well-known. (And if it *was*
well-known, surely there wouldn't be so many people up-voting the
question. Rather, they'd be saying "dude, read the manual, it's right
here!")

>>> And "deleting code from the running system" isn't the same as extending
>>> it.
>>
>>    From what I've seen, you write extensions by deleting existing objects
>> and replacing them with new ones. (Or maybe just replacing a method or
>> two.) You'd think it works by creating a new object that exposes a
>> defined set of operations, and passing that to the framework. But no, it
>> seems you just put your hands in the framework, rip out the bits you
>> don't want, and then replace them.
>
> Overriding is not the same as "ripping out the bits you don't want and
> replacing them".  You should know that from your study of OOP methods.

Thing is, when you override a method, you're not destroying the old
implementation. You're creating a new class that works differently.
Anybody using the old class still gets the old behaviour. This is
different; you're dynamically deleting the code from the system while
it's still running - potentially even while somebody is trying to *call*
that code!

I mean, it *works* and all... It just seems like a pretty scary design.

>> And then watch it all break horrifyingly in the next minor-release of
>> the shell.>_<
>
> If you refuse to find the right venue to ask for help, then you kinda get
> what you deserve there.

I'm talking about all the extensions that *other* people wrote which
break on later versions of the shell. (My own extension actually
survived - mostly because it barely does anything.)

>> Still, IMHO, I think most of this brokenness goes back to "we decided to
>> build a huge, complex application in a scripting language". All problems
>> flow from there.
>
> Now there's something I might be able to get behind.

Somehow I doubt the GNOME foundation are going to change it tho. ;-)

Post a reply to this message

> GNOME 2 had it, and there's a dozen different mutually-incompatible
> extensions to add it back to GNOME 3. Because it's a basic feature that
> should have been in the shell to begin with. But hey, it's a tablet. Who
> runs multiple applications on a tablet?

You are aware that on one of the most popular tablet (and phone) OS's
there's a dedicated button on every screen (one of only 3, the other two
are home and back) that allows you switch between applications? I'm
pretty sure they didn't decide to put it there just because it looked nice.

Post a reply to this message