POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Earth science education Server Time
8 Jul 2024 08:49:41 EDT (-0400)
  Earth science education (Message 1 to 10 of 40)
From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Earth science education
Date: 12 Mar 2015 04:51:46
Message: <550153a2$1@news.povray.org>
http://www.nature.com/news/help-to-fight-the-battle-for-earth-in-us-schools-1.17084?WT.ec_id=NATURE-20150312

Not only in the US...
--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Doctor John
Subject: Re: Earth science education
Date: 13 Mar 2015 17:58:33
Message: <55035d89@news.povray.org>
On 12/03/15 08:51, Thomas de Groot wrote:

http://www.nature.com/news/help-to-fight-the-battle-for-earth-in-us-schools-1.17084?WT.ec_id=NATURE-20150312

> Not only in the US...

Indeed. Unfortunately, liberal arts graduates seem to vastly outnumber
hard science graduates among the politicians of many nations.

John
--
Protect the Earth
It was not given to you by your parents

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 14 Mar 2015 04:12:45
Message: <5503ed7d$1@news.povray.org>
On 13-3-2015 22:58, Doctor John wrote:
> On 12/03/15 08:51, Thomas de Groot wrote:

http://www.nature.com/news/help-to-fight-the-battle-for-earth-in-us-schools-1.17084?WT.ec_id=NATURE-20150312

>> Not only in the US...
>
> Indeed. Unfortunately, liberal arts graduates seem to vastly outnumber
> hard science graduates among the politicians of many nations.
>
> John

True. Somehow, scientists are ill prepared for politics although there
are exceptions.

What I find really worrying is the dwindling interest for scientific
matters in school curriculae. It starts here with an appalling lack of
arithmetic knowledge in elementary school teachers.

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 14 Mar 2015 06:04:37
Message: <550407b5$1@news.povray.org>
On 14/03/2015 08:12, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> On 13-3-2015 22:58, Doctor John wrote:
>> On 12/03/15 08:51, Thomas de Groot wrote:

http://www.nature.com/news/help-to-fight-the-battle-for-earth-in-us-schools-1.17084?WT.ec_id=NATURE-20150312

>>> Not only in the US...
>>
>> Indeed. Unfortunately, liberal arts graduates seem to vastly outnumber
>> hard science graduates among the politicians of many nations.
>>
>> John
>>
> True. Somehow, scientists are ill prepared for politics although there
> are exceptions.
>
> What I find really worrying is the dwindling interest for scientific
> matters in school curriculae. It starts here with an appalling lack of
> arithmetic knowledge in elementary school teachers.

I feel quite smug that I can add up in my head, quicker than a cashier
with an adding machine.

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 14 Mar 2015 07:50:34
Message: <5504208a@news.povray.org>
On 14-3-2015 11:04, Stephen wrote:
> On 14/03/2015 08:12, Thomas de Groot wrote:
>> On 13-3-2015 22:58, Doctor John wrote:
>>> On 12/03/15 08:51, Thomas de Groot wrote:

http://www.nature.com/news/help-to-fight-the-battle-for-earth-in-us-schools-1.17084?WT.ec_id=NATURE-20150312

>>> Indeed. Unfortunately, liberal arts graduates seem to vastly outnumber
>>> hard science graduates among the politicians of many nations.
>>>
>>> John
>>>
>> True. Somehow, scientists are ill prepared for politics although there
>> are exceptions.
>>
>> What I find really worrying is the dwindling interest for scientific
>> matters in school curriculae. It starts here with an appalling lack of
>> arithmetic knowledge in elementary school teachers.
>>

> I feel quite smug that I can add up in my head, quicker than a cashier
> with an adding machine.

You are part of a dwindling population on the brink of extinction ;-)

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Doctor John
Date: 14 Mar 2015 08:20:58
Message: <550427aa$1@news.povray.org>
On 14/03/15 11:50, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> On 14-3-2015 11:04, Stephen wrote:
>> I feel quite smug that I can add up in my head, quicker than a cashier
>> with an adding machine.

Ah, but can you convert decimal to hexadecimal in your head? I can :-)
Seriously, though, this is evidence of the rigour that was applied to
the teaching of arithmetical skills when we were in primary school.  The
introduction of 'The New Math' in the late sixties was a step in the
wrong direction.

> You are part of a dwindling population on the brink of extinction ;-)

I, for one, am attempting to reverse this decline. The Feegle (4 years
old now) can confidently count to ten and gets up to twenty with a
little prompting; he is aware of the concepts of addition and
subtraction as well as being able to put these concepts into practice
with a reasonable standard of accuracy. He is also showing a good
understanding of the basic principles of mechanics.

So, when are you and Stephen (as well as Holsenback, Henderson et al)
going to help me populate the world with a seed population of little
scientists? ;-)

John

From: James Holsenback
Date: 14 Mar 2015 09:43:36
Message: <55043b08$1@news.povray.org>
On 03/14/2015 08:20 AM, Doctor John wrote:
> I, for one, am attempting to reverse this decline. The Feegle (4 years
> old now) can confidently count to ten and gets up to twenty with a
> little prompting; he is aware of the concepts of addition and
> subtraction as well as being able to put these concepts into practice
> with a reasonable standard of accuracy. He is also showing a good
> understanding of the basic principles of mechanics.
>
> So, when are you and Stephen (as well as Holsenback, Henderson et al)
> going to help me populate the world with a seed population of little
> scientists? ;-)

Yep ... work with my grand-daughter on these very issues. She's pretty
good with numbers and puzzles, and shows more interest it those types of
things over coloring and painting. I occasionally get something wrong on
purpose and I'm promptly corrected!

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 14 Mar 2015 11:02:39
Message: <55044d8f$1@news.povray.org>
On 14/03/2015 12:20, Doctor John wrote:
> On 14/03/15 11:50, Thomas de Groot wrote:
>> On 14-3-2015 11:04, Stephen wrote:
>>> I feel quite smug that I can add up in my head, quicker than a cashier
>>> with an adding machine.
>>>

> Ah, but can you convert decimal to hexadecimal in your head? I can :-)

Not Hex but Octal and BCD, yes.*

> Seriously, though, this is evidence of the rigour that was applied to
> the teaching of arithmetical skills when we were in primary school.  The
> introduction of 'The New Math' in the late sixties was a step in the
> wrong direction.

I've just checked and I can still say my "times tables". At least the
two times and the five times. And the twelve times.
How we envied the Continentals who only had to learn up to ten.

>> You are part of a dwindling population on the brink of extinction ;-)
>>

> I, for one, am attempting to reverse this decline. The Feegle (4 years
> old now) can confidently count to ten and gets up to twenty with a
> little prompting;he is aware of the concepts of addition and
> subtraction as well as being able to put these concepts into practice
> with a reasonable standard of accuracy. He is also showing a good
> understanding of the basic principles of mechanics.

Next, you can teach him to count to 29 without taking off his socks. ;-)

> So, when are you and Stephen (as well as Holsenback, Henderson et al)
> going to help me populate the world with a seed population of little
> scientists? ;-)

No, because... <Fade in>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUspLVStPbk&feature=player_detailpage#t=54

*
For small values of "yes"

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Francois Labreque
Date: 16 Mar 2015 09:21:33
Message: <5506d8dd$1@news.povray.org>
Le 2015-03-14 11:02, Stephen a écrit :
> On 14/03/2015 12:20, Doctor John wrote:
>> I, for one, am attempting to reverse this decline. The Feegle (4 years
>> old now) can confidently count to ten and gets up to twenty with a
>> little prompting;he is aware of the concepts of addition and
>> subtraction as well as being able to put these concepts into practice
>> with a reasonable standard of accuracy. He is also showing a good
>> understanding of the basic principles of mechanics.
>>

> Next, you can teach him to count to 29 without taking off his socks. ;-)

You can count up to 1023 using only your fingers.  Although, it takes a
little bit of dexterity.

For the record, I'm doing my part to stem the rising tide of herpaderp
in this country.

The 5 year old has taken a real liking to paleontology and is pestering
her parents with "How did the first ____ learn to do ____?"

The 2 year old is always building contraptions, which usually include at
least one USB phone charger.  I see a future in the R&D dept. at Apple
or Samsung for him....

From: scott
Date: 16 Mar 2015 09:41:41
Message: <5506dd95$1@news.povray.org>
>> Next, you can teach him to count to 29 without taking off his socks. ;-)
>
> You can count up to 1023 using only your fingers.  Although, it takes a
> little bit of dexterity.

If you're really good you can manage up to 59048...