POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Earth science education : Re: Earth science education Server Time
6 Oct 2024 06:45:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Earth science education
From: Doctor John
Date: 14 Mar 2015 08:20:58
Message: <550427aa$1@news.povray.org>
On 14/03/15 11:50, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> On 14-3-2015 11:04, Stephen wrote:
>> I feel quite smug that I can add up in my head, quicker than a cashier
>> with an adding machine.

Ah, but can you convert decimal to hexadecimal in your head? I can :-)
Seriously, though, this is evidence of the rigour that was applied to
the teaching of arithmetical skills when we were in primary school.  The
introduction of 'The New Math' in the late sixties was a step in the
wrong direction.

> You are part of a dwindling population on the brink of extinction ;-)

I, for one, am attempting to reverse this decline. The Feegle (4 years
old now) can confidently count to ten and gets up to twenty with a
little prompting; he is aware of the concepts of addition and
subtraction as well as being able to put these concepts into practice
with a reasonable standard of accuracy. He is also showing a good
understanding of the basic principles of mechanics.

So, when are you and Stephen (as well as Holsenback, Henderson et al)
going to help me populate the world with a seed population of little
scientists? ;-)

John
--
Protect the Earth